Author Topic: How do they reproduce?  (Read 4069 times)

Offline The_Duck

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
How do they reproduce?
« on: April 03, 2008, 12:18:46 PM »
I was looking at the DNA of the bots in my evosim (descended from Animal Minimalis) and to my eye it looks like they should all be sterile. Nevertheless the sim survives; a representative bot is below (I watched it reproduce). Can someone help me understand how they ever store anything in .repro?

Code: [Select]
''''''''''''''''''''''''  Gene:  1 Begins at position  1  '''''''''''''''''''''''
 start
 *.eye5 *.refeye *.myeye !=

''''''''''''''''''''''''  Gene:  1 Ends at position  5  '''''''''''''''''''''''
''''''''''''''''''''''''  Gene:  2 Begins at position  6  '''''''''''''''''''''''
 start
 *.refveldx .dx store
 *627 48 .up store
 stop
''''''''''''''''''''''''  Gene:  2 Ends at position  14  '''''''''''''''''''''''

''''''''''''''''''''''''  Gene:  3 Begins at position  15  '''''''''''''''''''''''
 cond
 *.eye5 58 >
 *683 *.myeye !=
 start
 -1 .shoot dec
 *.refvelup .up store
 stop
''''''''''''''''''''''''  Gene:  3 Ends at position  29  '''''''''''''''''''''''

''''''''''''''''''''''''  Gene:  4 Begins at position  30  '''''''''''''''''''''''
 cond
 *.eye5 =
 *.refeye *.myeye =
 or
 start
 345 .aimright store

''''''''''''''''''''''''  Gene:  4 Ends at position  40  '''''''''''''''''''''''
''''''''''''''''''''''''  Gene:  5 Begins at position  41  '''''''''''''''''''''''
 cond
 <

''''''''''''''''''''''''  Gene:  5 Ends at position  42  '''''''''''''''''''''''
''''''''''''''''''''''''  Gene:  6 Begins at position  43  '''''''''''''''''''''''
 cond
 *.nrg 22880 >
 start
 store
 <
 .repro store
 stop
''''''''''''''''''''''''  Gene:  6 Ends at position  52  '''''''''''''''''''''''

''''''''''''''''''''''''  Gene:  7 Begins at position  53  '''''''''''''''''''''''
 cond
''''''''''''''''''''''''  Gene:  7 Ends at position  53  '''''''''''''''''''''''
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 12:06:08 PM by Shasta »

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
How do they reproduce?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 12:25:10 PM »
The integer stack is not cleared from one gene to the next.  So the values pushed on the integer stack buy early genes (1 and 2) get stored to .repro when gene 6 fires.
Many beers....

Offline The_Duck

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
How do they reproduce?
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 05:05:46 PM »
Quote from: EricL
The integer stack is not cleared from one gene to the next.  So the values pushed on the integer stack buy early genes (1 and 2) get stored to .repro when gene 6 fires.

But I count 22 integers pushed on to the stack while all of the operators/stores before .repro would consume 25 integers.  

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
How do they reproduce?
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 05:12:11 PM »
Shows how we really need a DNA debugger   My guess is that maybe it uses that extra eye5 at the beginning of the genome.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
How do they reproduce?
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 06:11:19 PM »
Hell, you're right Duck.   I've stepped through it in the code and I don't think it can reproduce on it's own.   My guess is either waste build up is causing altzheimers to kick in or it's info shots from that second to last store....

Many beers....

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
How do they reproduce?
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 12:23:26 AM »
Could try turning off altzheimers and seeing if they still repro at the same rate.