Author Topic: 2.36 bugs  (Read 5443 times)

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
2.36 bugs
« on: April 01, 2005, 12:01:22 AM »
1. "Snapshot" feature does not work anymore.  Program just freezes and can be shut down only through Ctrl-Alt-Del.

2. Population control does not work anymore.  I tried changing "Max energy" and "Constrain population", but they don't do anything.  Not to say this is bad, I was always for that.  But if we are feeding veggies at constant rate now, then the controls must go.

3. Checking/unchecking "toroidal" option does not allow "top/bottom" and "left/right" options - they are always blanked out.

4. "Pond presets" is always blanked out.

5. "Walls" don't work.  Although I have to admit they behave absolutely spectacularly :)

6. Old bug with graphs, where if the graph has only 0 values then the whole program crashes when you try to close the graph.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2005, 12:22:04 AM by shvarz »
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
2.36 bugs
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 12:35:18 AM »
2. Population control does not work anymore.  I tried changing "Max energy" and "Constrain population", but they don't do anything.  Not to say this is bad, I was always for that.  But if we are feeding veggies at constant rate now, then the controls must go.

Yeah, I screwed with the controls, and probably broke it.  Constrain population should still work, but you'll have to run pond mode apparently to get any energy to your vegs.

-Always blinked out options-

Remnants to remind me to finish them.  I got super tired of the options form after several weeks, so some options are only have there.

The rest are logged and noted.

Another bug: with the faster mutations, larger sims can reach > 2000 robots.  That seems to cause undefined results (the robot array is only 2000 elements long).

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
2.36 bugs
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 01:49:48 AM »
"Load simulation" does not work either.  It just stays blank as if nothing happened.

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
2.36 bugs
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 11:03:06 AM »
When program is running, try going "Internet - > Show options", program crashes

Weird bug, at ~1000 cycles bots stop moving and just sit there till they die, all counters are still working.  Might be related to ant-bot, cause it started when I tried running a sim with that bot.

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
2.36 bugs
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 11:05:24 AM »
Feeding veggies is seriously messed up - in my sims they don't get any energy at all!!!

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
2.36 bugs
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 12:30:25 PM »
Feeding veggies is seriously messed up - in my sims they don't get any energy at all!!!

Yup I just noticed that too.

I think we need to get all these bugs ironed out and re-released before we worry about 3.0.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
2.36 bugs
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 01:19:01 PM »
I think we need to get all these bugs ironed out and re-released before we worry about 3.0.
Yeah, there are so many changes made that some major bugs popped up.  I'll go through and check everything.

Offline Old Henk

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
2.36 bugs
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2005, 05:38:52 AM »
I have a bug concerning eyes and turning.
'Bottus' doesn't turn, even when it's eye9 or eye1 return positive values...  :blink:

edit: 'wolf' had the same problem. is it because of the type of turning genes I use?
Wolf
« Last Edit: April 02, 2005, 05:40:24 AM by Henk »

Offline AZPaul

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
2.36 bugs
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2005, 12:47:48 PM »
Just tried 2.36. I lifted a working sim from 2.35 and ran it in 2.36.  Major differences noted.

1. Eye values seem to be constrained. Bots do not "see" as far ahead as in 2.35 nor as wide. Major differences noted in bot's ability to see then maneuver to a distant veggie.

2. Eye values change more dramatically.  In testing 2 bots approaching a veggie the first eye values in eye5 were 28 and 22 respectively. No turning was involved. This was a straight shot test.  I also noted in each case that eye5 value jumped dramatically from 33 and 38 to 55 and 60 in one cycle. 2.35 seems to be different in the inverse distance formula used for eye values.

3. At eye5 = 77 bot is still more than 1 cell length from the veggie. At value 55 the bot is about 2 cell lengths from target.

I had a major problem with veggies getting killed. The bots are trained to not kill veggies. I went into the Sim Parameters & Options menus and found the following:

4. In Costs screen, Energy Exchange - Fixed and Proportional both at 200. The sim I lifted from 2.35 did not have these values. Value arrows (up and down) on either option only changes value in Proportional window. Once set using keyboard and restart sim, values reverted to 200.

5. In Recording - Autosave - Value arrows on Whole Sim change Best Bot time.
                                          Value arrows on Best Bot change Whole Sim time.

6. Veggies receiving no energy. A_Minimalis losing about 1 point every 2-3 cycles. A_Minimalis_flotus loses 1 point about every 100 cycles.

7. With all eye values at 79, bots shots trail off to the left missing the target. Eye5 orientation appears to be off.

I cannot speak to the more advanced functions yet. Seems the most basic functions are significantly different between the two versions.

Off the wall juxtaposition: As a person of average heigth stand up and imagine a circle with a diameter equal to your heigth. Imagine this is Earth. Now take one finger and inscribe the circumference of Earth's surface. With the flat underside of your finger inscribing the surface the topside, one finger width from the surface, is the altitude the ISS and the shuttle fly. "Outter space" it ain't. But it is the first step.

-P
« Last Edit: April 02, 2005, 01:51:38 PM by AZPaul »

Offline Old Henk

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
2.36 bugs
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2005, 01:36:35 PM »
Another -small- bug. In the recording option screen, there is an option to set the interfal at which topbots and/or the whole simulation is saved. However, when I increment the 'whole simulation', 'top bots' gets incremented, and visa versa.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
2.36 bugs
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2005, 04:21:50 PM »
PAUL, you weren't supposed to notice the changes to eyes!

Problem is that to save speed I never calculate distance.  I just leave it as distance ^2.

The old functions all had number / dis.  I had to jury rig some piecemeal functions that are almost the same.  That's where all the weird jumps and stuff you're noticing come from.

If anyone knows a better way, please tell me!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2005, 04:23:58 PM by Numsgil »

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
2.36 bugs
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2005, 04:31:51 PM »
Noticed a very weird bug: I was running a sim on a very large field (6?) and at some point I noticed that in some empty areas (no bots at all) shots appeared out of nowhere. First they were just here and there, but then I noticed some cases where it looked like a bot was continously shooting with HUGE number of particles coming out of empty space.

My guess is that something in the code moves the shots away from the bot that is doing the shooting.