Author Topic: I can't figure this out  (Read 3000 times)

Offline droot

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
I can't figure this out
« on: March 25, 2008, 05:09:47 PM »
I'm having trouble just getting a simple bot even on my screen let alone getting into the advanced options.  I try to insert a bot and it asks for a .dbo which I don't have.  I don't have anywhere I can put the code into in order to get my first bot up and running.  I'd appreciate any help I can get.  Thanks,
y'all

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
I can't figure this out
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 05:24:32 PM »
Hi there.  Welcome.

Do this:

Edit-> Species

Hit the Add Species button.

Choose a bot or two from the \robots directory of your install

Hit the Start New button.

It's a little confusing at first.  Let me explain.  There are two file formats for bots.  One is the .txt file which contains just the DNA for a species.  Think of it as a blank template - like sucking the DNA strand out of a cell and saving it.  It's not the living cell, it's just the DNA - just the DNA a new bot (or 100 new bots) start from.  A dbo file is a DarwinBots Organism File.  It's the cell.   It contains not only the (potentially mutated) DNA, but all sorts of oither stuff about a specific, running bot - an instance of a species - it's size, how much nrg it has, what color it is, it's run-time state and so on.  So, you start a sim by adding the species DNA files you want then the simulator will create running bot instances starting with that DNA.  When you want to save a specific running organism, you save it as a dbo.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 05:29:57 PM by EricL »
Many beers....