Author Topic: Racial memory  (Read 5168 times)

Offline AZPaul

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
Racial memory
« on: March 30, 2005, 08:25:38 PM »
Since the "search" function is down I'll do it this way.

In some post in some topic on one of these boards I remember reading about certain mem values (in the 900s) transferred to baby after the 20th cycle of the birth tie. I can't find it.

Would some kind person please repeat the info? What memloc's?

I promise I will, this time, copy and paste the info into my own documentation for future reference.

Thanks, as always, people,

-P

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Racial memory
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 08:42:22 PM »
I tried figuring out the search function, but with no luck.  I think the guys hosting the forum have it shut down for all forums (confirmation?)

971 through 990 I believe, are copied from parent to child.  Copied 1 per cycle after 20th cycle (or on 20th cycle.  I'm not sure).

Soon (so soon I can taste it I hope) we'll be adding this listing to the wiki, so no one will be lost ever again!

Offline AZPaul

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
Racial memory
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 11:53:32 AM »
Back again, folks.

I tested locations 980 and 981. These do not transfer. I will try other locations as I have time.

FYI. Birth tie separates at age 89.

I am using DB2.35. Is racial memory active in this version?

I'm almost done with Alpha. Sex-based (simulated, since .sexrepro doesn't work yet - hint) with separate male/female behaviors, female mate selection, and sex trait inheritance (in the absense of .sexrepro gene shuffle - hint) through racial memory (if I can get that working) all contained in one DNA set (right up against the DNA length limit). Finally got the eyes working well enough (no math in conditionals - man wasn't that a headache - but it does so state in the documentation, damnit) and movements smoothed out.  Alpha is a pretty little bird that eats and makes babies. No protections (except dodging bad guys) and is intended for Evo Sims not for combat.  I've had to combine some gene processing so as to stay within the length limit but there are still plenty of genes for a good sex shuffle (if we had one - hint).

When can I have a real working .sexrepro?

Thanks, y'all.

-P

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Racial memory
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 12:47:10 PM »
I'll look into the code for racial memory and sexrepro soon.

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Racial memory
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 02:52:25 PM »
I added racial memory in V2.2 something.

I have never actually fully tested it in later versions. I kind of added it so that people could play areound with it but without any clear idea of how. Then I promptly forgot about it.

As far as I can recall it should apply to 20 memory locations from 971 through 990 as Num said. However I have no idea where this "after the 20th cycle" bit came from. From what I remember of it, it activates immediately and copies one location (starting at 970) per cycle for 20 cycles, finishing after 20 cycles have passed.

It should be active in V2.35. It has certainly never been deactivated deliberately
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline AZPaul

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
Racial memory
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 04:40:14 PM »
Thank you both.

FYI.  I only checked two locations (980, 981) but I did console check 4 newborns one cycle at a time from 0 thru 89. Mom's memory values did not transfer.

I've gotten around it, for now, letting the initial rnd function determine the value for the male tail length and female tail preference. I suppose I could communicate mom's values across the tie. I need to look at that.

Thanks, again.

Just off the wall: I like the name "junk DNA." This speaks volumes about us crazy H. Sapiens. We can't see the utility, if there is any, so we assume it has none and is thus junk. In humans there are lots of old bacteria and viral remnents in there, btw. I like, better, McFadden's view that it's leftover stuff from eons of development no longer used and may be "sleeping" awaiting the right chemical alarm clock. Gould speculated this could be the expansion ground of new features for some future H. Intellectulus. Some junk.

Enough.

Bye, y'all.

-P

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Racial memory
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 04:51:19 PM »
Just off the wall: I like the name "junk DNA." This speaks volumes about us crazy H. Sapiens. We can't see the utility, if there is any, so we assume it has none and is thus junk. In humans there are lots of old bacteria and viral remnents in there, btw. I like, better, McFadden's view that it's leftover stuff from eons of development no longer used and may be "sleeping" awaiting the right chemical alarm clock. Gould speculated this could be the expansion ground of new features for some future H. Intellectulus. Some junk.
That's why I wanted to add it.  Junk DNA allows mutations to accumulate without effecting the phenotype immediatly.  Presumably the cost/benefit ratio of pruning DNA of Junk DNA is just too high, so cells don't really try.

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Racial memory
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 06:26:08 PM »
Try giving this guy a lot of energy on startup and check if all he’s children have different memory of 972 , if they do , there you go it’s a bug.

'Memory Location (972) Does not get transfeard , this is prove.
'sexrepro does not work , this is prove

cond
  *.nrg
  >
start
1 1 rnd add
store
stop

cond
!=
start
31 inc
stop

cond
  =
  =
start
1 30 rnd add
'later check if children have the same number as parants
store
stop

cond
  =
start
  .sexrepro
 'does not work
  store
  .aimdx
  store
  store
stop
cond
  =
start
  .repro
 'reguler repro works , but if you replace this with sexrepro too...
  store
  .aimdx
  store
  store
stop
end

More prove? Try my first bot , it has only 3 babys while it should have 7 babys when it reproduces.

'/*****proper reproduction 1

cond
  *.nrg
  >
start
  .repro
  store
  'if time to reproduce store it
  store
stop

cond
  '/after robot reproduces it reproduces more until energy less then 3000
  =
start
  .repro
  store
stop

cond
  *.nrg
  <
start
  store
stop

'\*****proper reproduction 1

cond
start
  .shoot
  store
  .up
  store
stop
end
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 06:26:54 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Racial memory
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 06:30:33 PM »
I've never personally checked the code for racial memory, so it may be broken.  I'll look into it later.

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Racial memory
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2005, 06:48:54 PM »
Ok , I just ran another simulation with firstbot, when its not a plant it seams to reproduce correctly, strange...

AzPaul , try making all your active-working robots not plants.

Offline AZPaul

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
Racial memory
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2005, 03:10:31 AM »
Thanks, Bots.

Neither Alpha nor Delta are intended nor destained to be plants.  Right now I'm looking at populating the sex-trait values through the birth tie.  That should suffice until (hint) .sexrepro is working (end hint).

From Sir Nums:

That's why I wanted to add it. Junk DNA allows mutations to accumulate without effecting the phenotype immediatly. Presumably the cost/benefit ratio of pruning DNA of Junk DNA is just too high, so cells don't really try.

Or there is utility to that 80+ percent of our genome that we label as junk and the cells [you]must[/you] keep it around. I'm sure the designated smart guys will figure this out in not too long a time.

If you add some "junk DNA" space to DB can I surrepticiously abscound with some of it for real DB DNA?  Please?

Reminds me of David Sarnoff when talking to RCA's lab people about building a computer to compete with IBM.  

Four 4-bit processors in parallel with a staggering 512k of that new silicon memory stuff and a bank of new 30" iron/oxide platter drives for 5 meg of data each.

"No one is ever going to use that much space and power!"   Right.

Gimme the space and I'll fill it.

Trivia tidbit: The first small (8") individual hard drives were called "winchester drives" in the industry since IBM's marketing group designated them the WN-3030 drive. Correlated with the old Winchester 3030 rifle. We play in an industry built by cowboys.

Cowboys are special
With their own brand of misery
From bein' alone too long.
You could die in the cold
In the arms of a nightmare
Knowin' well that your best days are gone.
Pickin' up hookers
Instead of my pen
I let the words of my youth fade away.
Old worn out saddles
And old worn out memories
With no one and no place to stay.

-Willie Nelson - My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys