Author Topic: Pond Mode Expanded  (Read 5505 times)

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Pond Mode Expanded
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 11:49:41 AM »
A new shot type with mass is fine with me.  Another shot type increases the genospace and provides evobots another simple means for mutations to result in locomotion.

Any suggestions on how to determine the mass and nrg conversion rate of the shot?  A strawman is to use a .shootval value indicating the nrg to shoot and make the mass the body equivalent of this.   Not sure what a 0 .shootval should mean - a massless shot?  Also, should an impact transfer the body amount?

Adding inertia transfer to angular momentum and spin for off-center impacts is doable, but a little involved.  The concept of anagular momentum is there today - bots can spin and maintain spin due to tie torque today - so I can expand this but it may really call out issues with our broken absolute direction aiming paradym....  I may have to replace .aimsx, etc. with thrusters for this to work well...
Many beers....

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Pond Mode Expanded
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2008, 01:41:40 PM »
Using a strict nrg to equivelant body mass probably isn't a good idea (hugely wasteful).  I would do nrg to equivelant shell mass, I think.  That's like 10 to 1 compared with body, right?

Angular momentum is broken presently, because it wasn't based on proper laws of motion.  If you fixed up the behind the scenes stuff to incorporate Moment of Inertia and Torque, though, aimdx, etc. could be modelled as motors: they produce as much torque as needed to achieve the desired change in angle, and charge the bot the equivelant nrg.