Author Topic: New vel command  (Read 2464 times)

Offline rsucoop

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
New vel command
« on: March 03, 2008, 12:18:53 AM »
I'm in favor of adding a new velocity command, if it doesn't already exist, vel .aimv sets the velocity vector to the current aim of the bot. This could really help work some of the mechanics for movement later; lateral movement could be a modded command, using a range with 90 degrees of motion, using a 4-bit system. Or perhaps even the entire velocity system could be reduced to just this one command to simplify things. Allow a velocity stack to be created, this would make for complex turns in conditionless bots.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
New vel command
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 04:37:42 AM »
Quote from: rsucoop
I'm in favor of adding a new velocity command, if it doesn't already exist, vel .aimv sets the velocity vector to the current aim of the bot.

Velocity is already related to the aim of the bot.  See .velup.  Which means if you want to make your net velocity vector point in the direction you're aiming, all you have to do is this:

*.veldx abs .up store
*.veldx .sx store

I don't think it needs its own dedicated command, especially when it can be accomplished so easily.

lateral movement could be a modded command, using a range with 90 degrees of motion, using a 4-bit system.

Nothing in this sentence makes sense to me.

Or perhaps even the entire velocity system could be reduced to just this one command to simplify things.

Non backwards compatible changes usually have to add something profound to the simulation to be considered.

Allow a velocity stack to be created, this would make for complex turns in conditionless bots.

What do you mean a velocity stack?  Why should conditionless bots be coddled when recent changes allow conditions to be nestled inside genes?

As a quick aside, I find it fascinating the way your mind works.  You're obviously intelligent, but when you post things, they're usuaslly amazingly complex.  Yet they just manage to accomplish some simple objective.  Usually there's a far more straightforward method to arrive at what you're after, with something like a tenth of the work.

Offline rsucoop

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
New vel command
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 12:36:31 PM »
Quote from: Numsgil
Quote from: rsucoop
I'm in favor of adding a new velocity command, if it doesn't already exist, vel .aimv sets the velocity vector to the current aim of the bot.

Velocity is already related to the aim of the bot.  See .velup.  Which means if you want to make your net velocity vector point in the direction you're aiming, all you have to do is this:

*.veldx abs .up store
*.veldx .sx store

I don't think it needs its own dedicated command, especially when it can be accomplished so easily.

lateral movement could be a modded command, using a range with 90 degrees of motion, using a 4-bit system.

Nothing in this sentence makes sense to me.

Or perhaps even the entire velocity system could be reduced to just this one command to simplify things.

Non backwards compatible changes usually have to add something profound to the simulation to be considered.

Allow a velocity stack to be created, this would make for complex turns in conditionless bots.

What do you mean a velocity stack?  Why should conditionless bots be coddled when recent changes allow conditions to be nestled inside genes?

As a quick aside, I find it fascinating the way your mind works.  You're obviously intelligent, but when you post things, they're usuaslly amazingly complex.  Yet they just manage to accomplish some simple objective.  Usually there's a far more straightforward method to arrive at what you're after, with something like a tenth of the work.

The idea I had was something already in use, only it would use one vel command. A polar coordinate system wouldn't be too hard to implement. An angle, and scalar unit is what the standard velocity is in physics. Vel (angle) amount (scalar) store. Now no matter which way the bot faces the Velocity can be set for any angle. But to make this work you would have to run a pre-cycle velocity vector to set the right vector. Now a bot could accelerate left, 90 degrees at 10 and 270 degrees 10. The resultant would be an angular move down and left, as opposed to setting velup and veldn. Just one Velocity is set, the scalars and angle would be used for creating the resultant vector. This would majke mutations different, since their are like four different velocity commands in use; but having just one would be interesting. Also, I like puzzles; this often means finding a complex solution to a simple problem with no alternative. Beyond that I look at a problem as having a complex answer to a simple answer; I.e. e=mc^2 verses the actual computation of the equation. Plus I see DB as a Geometric game of Conditions. So I let my mind wonder. To make a velocity go backwards, just use negative values. One variable from four