Author Topic: Tie controll  (Read 3318 times)

Offline Moonfisher

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Tie controll
« on: February 27, 2008, 01:53:40 PM »
How does fixang work ?
.fixang - allows bot to change angle of the tie once hardened

So... I was guessing if I push a value into fixang it will set this angle relative to my aim... or world space or something...
But just throwing a value in there just seems to have an odd effect...
At the start of the code execution it writes the value in 468 (fixang) and at the end of code execution it's value is 32000...
But I figure that is sposed to happen since several other locations hold the same value at that point.

But I must be doing something wrong... what range does the angle have ?
If I just wanted a 90 deg angle would I write : 341 .fixang store ? Doesn't seem to work that way...
Does anyone know of a topic on this or a bot somewhere using fixang ?

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Tie controll
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 02:11:32 PM »
Funny, I'm actually playing with this right now.

It should work like you say.  The range is -628 to 628.  Values outside that range peg the value at the range max/min.

The 32000 is something the simulator is doing to indicate no action by the bot.  If checks for differences from 32000 and sets it back to 32000 at the end of the cycle.   It can't use 0 as this means an angle of 0 relative to .aim and the bot might intend that.

314 .fixang store

Should fix the tie angle at 90 degrees.  Please let me know if this is not the case.

One thing I may do soon is add some means to control a hardened tie angle's resistance to change, allowing a bot with a hardened tie to "unlock" the angle and let it float...

Will let you know if I find any bugs.  Please do the same.

Many beers....

Offline Moonfisher

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Tie controll
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 02:39:34 PM »
I'll try to make something realy basic to test it, I'll post the code if I'm having problems.

And make the free tie angle thing, that would be VERY usefull... to me atleast.
And I hope you're not making something too similar to what I'm working on

BTW: It seems like only the bot forming the tie has a fixed angle, the target of the tie seems to have a free angle, is that correct ?

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Tie controll
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 04:05:07 PM »
Quote from: Moonfisher
BTW: It seems like only the bot forming the tie has a fixed angle, the target of the tie seems to have a free angle, is that correct ?
Correct.  I made this change some time ago.  It really helps reduce all sorts of nasty oscillations and such that can build up with highly connected nests.  It also makes sense to me at least that bots only have control of their end of the tie...
Many beers....