Author Topic: Animal Minimalis Not Working  (Read 3913 times)

Offline Azhtabak

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Animal Minimalis Not Working
« on: February 19, 2008, 03:15:11 PM »
Hi. I recently downloaded this and started trying it out, and am finding it very interesting. I hope to start making my own bots soon, if I can work out how  

However, I have been unable to make Animal Minimalis work - I copied it from this board as a sample basic bot, but it doesn't seem to be working - it does not reproduce, spin or hunt for food, and will occasionally just shoot forwards in a straight line. If it bumps into an enemy by chance, it seems to attack them, but that is all.

Could anyone help me? This is the script running for it, copied exactly from the thread:

cond
*.eye5 0 >
*.refeye *.myeye !=
start
*.refveldx .dx store
*.refvelup 30 add .up store
stop

cond
*.eye5 50 >
*.refeye *.myeye !=
start
-1 .shoot store
*.refvelup .up store
stop

cond
*.eye5 0 =
*.refeye *.myeye = or
start
314 rnd .aimdx store
stop

cond
*.nrg 20000 >
start
10 .repro store
stop
end

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 03:19:39 PM »
I'm not aware of any issues with animal minimalis.  What version are you running?

Offline Azhtabak

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 03:27:39 PM »
I'm not sure - the program calls itself 'DarwinBots II' and I think it was the second-newest version from the site.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 10:11:16 PM »
You'll need at least version 2.37 I think.  You probably have 2.1.  Go to the FTP and download either the current "stable" release, or the buddy drop.  You'll then need to move the new version to your Darwinbots directory, and make a shortcut to the new version.  We haven't really gotten around yet to streamlining the whole update process.  Each version is a separate EXE.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 10:12:55 PM by Numsgil »

Offline Azhtabak

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 04:01:14 AM »
Thanks! It's working now, though it does have a tendancy to spin in place in big groups a lot instead of finding food - I'm guessing that's just a flaw built into it?

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 04:18:02 AM »
Yeah, the idea is that this is about as simple an animal as you could make.  So there aren't any "go find food" genes.  If there isn't any food around, it tries to conserve nrg by sitting in place and spinning (so it can keep tabs on what's around it).  The idea being that some food is bound to bump into it after a while.

It's a base bot, so the idea is that you identify things it doesn't do that it should, and program them in yourself.