Author Topic: Viral Mutation? RESOLVED 2.43.1d  (Read 3768 times)

Offline googlyeyesultra

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Viral Mutation? RESOLVED 2.43.1d
« on: February 11, 2008, 02:07:12 AM »
I've noticed that on occasion, in a sim with every bot being mutation-disabled, a spreading virus can sometimes mutate, always in my experience being the first bp (which, also, is always a cond, don't know which it is connected to). This is changed to a 0, which makes me believe that the word cond is somehow being corrupted and the interpreted is reading the unknown word as a zero. I am using the latest buddy drop, although I recall this happening in earlier versions. I haven't tested this with the sim-wide mutations disabled. Furthermore, the only mutation registered in the mutations dialogue area is the viral infection itself, so I don't think actually mutation code is being run (and if it was, it wouldn't happen in the same place and way every time.)

Tell me if you need more info.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 11:47:11 PM by EricL »

Offline fulizer

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 08:54:41 AM »
that is very intesting I still cant get any of the buddy drops working so I will never tsee this for myself.
just as a noob idea maybye the reproduction gene on the origonal virus bot has mrepro on it causing them to mutate anyway. I have never used this so it may not be the case.
"If this is coffee bring me tea, If this is tea, bring me coffee"

Offline googlyeyesultra

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 10:56:05 AM »
No, there's no mrepro in any of the bots. Furthermore, I'm assuming that it isn't the mutation routine kicking in, seeing as how there isn't an extra mutation in the mutation history section, and this always happens in the first bp (always a cond) of the virus.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 11:27:02 AM »
Cond is represented in the program as two numbers, one of which is 0.  What must be happening is that the type of that first bp is being corrupted and the program is interpreting it as a number, in this case 0 (start would be interpreted as a 1 if it were interpreted as a number).

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 12:27:59 PM »
Havn't foudn a smoking gun, but 2.43.1d makes some changes to virus insertion for perf reasons, maintaining a dna length instead of recalculating it.    May have picked this one up.  It als fixes a problem where slime can be made at virus insertion time.
Many beers....

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 02:58:40 PM »
Not sure if it's the same bug, but I just found the following gene in one of the bots:

0 *.up VOID VOID VOID VOID VOID VOID VOID VOID VOID VOID VOID 28672 VOID VOID VOID VOID VOID VOID VOID VOID VOID VOID VOID VOID VOID VOID 23371 VOID VOID 26442 VOID VOID 53 0 VOID VOID VOID VOID VOID VOID VOID VOID VOID VOID VOID VOID VOID VOID -28416 VOID VOID -31232 VOID VOID 15360 0 VOID VOID -1 VOID VOID VOID VOID VOID

Upd: It's actually an Alga minimalis that came into my sim from you, Eric.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 03:00:16 PM by shvarz »
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 03:40:42 PM »
VOID is really, really bad.  It's the programs way of saying "I have no idea what this DNA is.  Sure looks like garbage to me."

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 09:16:10 PM »
Yea, I've got a bug in the virus perf change I made somewhere.   I'm on it...
Many beers....

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 11:54:21 PM »
This is fixed in 2.43.1d.

I made had made some perf improvements to generalized DNA length calculations to avoid recomputing lengths of viruses and sperm DNA all the time.  A bug in this created a situation where the MakeSpace() routine would make room for a virus of a given length, extending the bot DNA with type-value pairs of -1, -1, but the virus would not get inserted, leaving the DNA malformed.  These -1, -1 pairs are the VOIDs you saw in bots coming from my sim.  The bug that caused this introduced post 2.43.1c in a build that never left my machine but which I mistakenly ran in internet mode, thus teleporting out bots with the malformed DNA.  All is fixed in the forth coming 2.43.1d.
Many beers....