Author Topic: I feel like the bartender at the DarwinBots Bar!  (Read 4506 times)

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
I feel like the bartender at the DarwinBots Bar!
« on: January 31, 2008, 03:01:29 PM »
It's a great place.  Everyone is welcome, you can spit on the floor and call the cat a bastard and most people won't mind though if you spit in their drink or piss on the pool table, the regulars will take take exception.  People come and go, there's a core crowd, but also a steady stream of newbies.  Once in a while a newbie comes back enough times to become a regular but not often.

You've got your characters in the ranks of the regulars - the old sage whoose hangs out in his favorite chair.  He's respected by most everyone.  He's always here, but supposedly he's also building a new and better bar.  He'll be happy to tell you all about it if you ask.  Also, he can tell you how the walls of this one were put up and what's wrong with them.  Then there's the founder.  He only shows up once in a blue moon to tell you he doesn't like the beer your serving.  There's a guy in the back who doesn't say much but is always there playing the video machine, there's the biologist who stops off after work most days for a drink, but gets more excited about the fermentation process than how the beer tastes and a dozen others, each with their own qwerks...

Most people are thougtful and often enguaged in deep conversations on deep subjects.  Afterall, this is the bar where the mysteries of the universe are to be solved but there are exceptions.  Some days, a 16 year old kid runs in and before anyoen can stop him, he runs from person to person spouting the most obvious single sentences imaginable.  "There's air in here," he says to one guy.  "If you drink that beer, your glass will be empty" he says to another.   Sometimes he brings dead bodies with him, customers from long past, frozen in conversation on long dead topics.  He sits them on a stool and whispers his single sentences to them as they if they can hear him.  Then he leaves, leaving them behind to stink up the place...      

There's a mental hospital down the street.  Every Thursday a guy wearing nothing but a white hospital gown wanders in, sits and the end of the bar and starts talking to himself.   From a distance it sounds like he's making sense, but the regulars know better.  They've tried to talk to him and failed.   They used to try to make sense of his ranting but now they mostly ignore him.  He stays for an hour than leaves until next week.  Nobody knows why...

Me, I serve them all.  Occasionally I get the bat out from under the bar and beat off some kids looking for trouble or call a taxi for soemoen whose had a few too many.  Mostly I dispense advice and opinion while working in my spare moments to spiff up the place.   It's a living.  Besides, isn't that what all good bartenders do?

"So my friend, would you like some bug fixes to go with that .sexrepro?"
Many beers....

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 03:30:55 PM »
Almost sound like poetry.  

The guy with the white hospital gown really seems to make sense.

Altrough I don't know what he means
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline MacadamiaNuts

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 03:57:57 PM »
*keeps playing the video machine*
Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose...

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 04:25:09 PM »
Heh, it feels weird to be an old timer

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 04:34:01 PM »
Sounds like a cozy little place...  That's why I'm still coming back after all these years
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 09:34:33 AM »
I was hoping to go out tonight with a friend, but I got an sms from her saying she couldn't make it, so I guess I'll have to satisfy with this bar then.

Cheers!  
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 09:41:27 AM »
Quote from: Testlund
I was hoping to go out tonight with a friend, but I got an sms from her saying she couldn't make it, so I guess I'll have to satisfy with this bar then.
Where's that bat?  
Many beers....

Offline Peksa

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 04:46:00 PM »
I love it!  Both the poetry and the bar. Cheers!

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 05:20:22 PM »
Aaar, I remember the days' when newbies weren't as eloquent as that and purple was the in colour. Back in my day I knew how a video recorder worked, now it's a bit like I'm a technophobe, you new whatsitmagubbins have it far too easy if you ask me.

Bring back the days when Circumversor was one of the top bots and bugs were fixed along a scale of months not hours!

I remember how the pub looked and the beer tasted back when I was a young'n

Now it's punctuated equilibrium and I'm relegated to the fossil part;
I've gotta be back by six or they'll be out looking for me...

Never had a barman refuse me a drink for having craxy idea's yet but there is still time..,
Respect the staff 'cause they have a bat under the counter'

lotsa smiley fces;

Jez
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have in your hands is a non-working cat.
Douglas Adams