Author Topic: Sick of people posting in old topics.  (Read 18972 times)

Offline JossiRossi

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Sick of people posting in old topics.
« on: January 23, 2008, 12:46:29 PM »
Certain people have been posting in topics that are months or even YEARS old. I don't know why it bothers me so much but really it's annoying the crap out of me. I just want it to stop, why won't he stop? I DON'T UNDERSTAND! STOP IT. STOP IT. STOP IT.

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 03:44:16 PM »
Alright, just let me remember to post in this topic after a year.  
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline fulizer

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 05:04:34 AM »
the reason they post in them is because they take a genuine intrest into the topic and think that it should be posten on. I had to post on my darwinbots game thread even though no one had posted on it for a while because it was nearly ready for a demo version
"If this is coffee bring me tea, If this is tea, bring me coffee"

Offline JossiRossi

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 12:52:43 PM »
Quote from: fulizer
the reason they post in them is because they take a genuine intrest into the topic and think that it should be posten on. I had to post on my darwinbots game thread even though no one had posted on it for a while because it was nearly ready for a demo version

Fulizer, you post in threads that are 2 years old with stuff that is either utterly inconsequential, or so grossly uninformed that it's embarrassing. Now, those 2 problems alone don't annoy me too much, you are clearly young and we all were once. You are passionate but you need to funnel that correctly. Instead of spending all of your time expressing yourself, you should spend your time learning. Most of the time you don't know what you are talking about, and don't know what others are talking about. I fear you won't know what I am talking about.

To be short, if you understand one thing here: If a thread's last post is over a few months old, DO NOT POST IN IT.

Just let the dead topic stay dead, you're not going to add anything important enough to warrant it, this is not an attack mind you. Almost no one would have anything important enough to say in a thread that old. Hell even EricL would very likely avoid that.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 01:14:53 PM »
Quote from: JossiRossi
Hell even EricL would very likely avoid that.
Many beers....

Offline fulizer

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 05:05:00 AM »
1. I am younger. much younger. I am 30 years younger than eric l so I still spend six hours a day at school
2. I post during my free school time when I cannot use darwinbots in any way so if I try to make a bot I willl normally make about 10 genes then go home and realise that one of them is not working but be unable to find which one.
I will ave to spend about 2 weeks off the forum a I will hope that when I come back I will be a bit smarter.

Offline JossiRossi

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 10:22:30 AM »
Look, I don't care if you are young, it's fine to learn, that's not the point!

STOP POSTING IN OLD THREADS!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 10:24:45 AM by JossiRossi »

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 10:24:40 AM »
I miss Griz.  He was funner to pick on and even older than I am (hard to believe I know) so he took the brunt of the old guy quips....
Many beers....

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 11:42:18 AM »
Yeah, I miss him too! I wonder why he abandoned the forum. Maybe he got fed up by all the bugs. I was browsing through old bug reports a few weeks ago which is quite funny to read, when you think of all the problems we we're struggling with.  You got to be addicted to this to not give up.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 11:43:41 AM by Testlund »
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 02:40:10 PM »
Quote from: fulizer
1. I am younger. much younger. I am 30 years younger than eric l so I still spend six hours a day at school
2. I post during my free school time when I cannot use darwinbots in any way so if I try to make a bot I willl normally make about 10 genes then go home and realise that one of them is not working but be unable to find which one.
I will ave to spend about 2 weeks off the forum a I will hope that when I come back I will be a bit smarter.
So you're thirteen, right. I already thought you're still going to primary school.  
Well I am 24 years younger then Eric, you may calculate my age then.
School, hmm 6 hours. At this moment I spent 8 hours + 1 hour traveling with my research internship. I spent  9 hours every day. That is 3 hours more then you do. And what had free time to do with it anyway?

And Eric, no you're not that old. In my internship, most people there are atleast twice my age, just as you. No, that didn't really help did it.  

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 04:29:32 PM »
If there's anything I've learned from the internet it's that people's physical age is only a loose guide to their abilities, knowledge, and social skills.  While I have met some very intelligent teens, and some extremely annoying geezers, most of the time it's the other way around.  But there are enough exceptions to warrant people being treated based on how they present themselves, instead of how old they are.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 04:30:38 PM by Numsgil »

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 12:52:18 PM »
Quote from: Numsgil
If there's anything I've learned from the internet it's that people's physical age is only a loose guide to their abilities, knowledge, and social skills.  While I have met some very intelligent teens, and some extremely annoying geezers, most of the time it's the other way around.  But there are enough exceptions to warrant people being treated based on how they present themselves, instead of how old they are.
Well, I wouldn't call it a louse guide. Most times older people have more abilities knowledge and social skills. But there are always exeptions, I can agree on that. Probably I am an exeption too, how much years younger would you have guesed me.  
I would have guesed fuliser at primary school or the brugklas(in dutch, a section between primary and secondary school, duration a few years, I don't know the english name) becouse at other forums I have seen other kids of eleven acting more mature. Also some of fourteen more immature but, okay.
The age on internet is also pretty inreliable, some kids put on a older age becouse they think to get more respect that way.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 12:59:57 PM by Peter »

Offline fulizer

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 09:00:46 AM »
I am back (for a bit) saying that I have learnt a lot in the few weeks I have spent off the forums.
I have manged to create about all the basic genes by myself and created a gene that causes a bot to turn when it hits the edge of the simulation.
I am going to spend at least four more days off the forum to learn some more commands (and to spend some time creating a total hunter bot).
I am also going onto the infinatley vast concept of what is fair to do on forums.
anyway I am now going to leave as lunch ends in about 2 minuits.
sorry about spelling I have bad handwriting so doall my writing on a laptop that I can just spellcheck.
anyway I am going (for a few more days).

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 12:07:59 AM »
Quote from: Peter
Alright, just let me remember to post in this topic after a year.  

Damn, I looked into this forum wanting to say exactly that.
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 03:38:54 PM »
Happy new year everyone.

Yes, I think this is a legimate reason to post here.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 03:39:30 PM by Peter »