Author Topic: Using .shootval for virus targeting  (Read 3129 times)

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Using .shootval for virus targeting
« on: December 23, 2007, 09:33:49 PM »
Now that virus insertion is random as opposed to always being the last gene, I have had a request to allow the virus (or virus shooter) to optionally control where virus insertion occurs in the infected organism.  Unless there are objections, I plan to use the value of .shootval on the cycle .vshoot successfully shoots to indicate the gene number in the target organism before which the virus would like to be inserted.  The value will be MODed by the number of genes (plus 1) in the target organism at virus infection time.  A .shootval of 0 will indicate random insertion.

I view this as a temporary targeting mechanism which will suffice until we move to a sequence based targetting paradym.
Many beers....

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 11:21:20 PM »
Getting inserted at the end of the genome is the holy grail for malicious DNA: they can override anything that the host tries to do.  As such, I would prevent viruses from forcibly inserting themselves at the end of the genome.  I can't think of a legitimate HGT reason to get inserted at the end.

Otherwise no objections.

Offline googlyeyesultra

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 09:41:05 AM »
Well, for one, you'd need to know the number of genes the target has in order to hit the last gene, and since you can't aim viruses, you don't really even know what the target is. Gene number one could be even more lethal, since it would insta-kill all SG bots with .delgene inc .delgene inc (they'd delete themselves).

Aside from first, last, and random, I'm not sure if I'd want to target anywhere else.

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 10:28:48 AM »
The point here is that virusmakers could set the gene to always being the last gene. Being the last gene is a major advantage, any anti-virus-system just doesn't work when the gene is inserted last.

Ofcource a virus may be inserted last, but I wouldn't like viruses that forcibly inserting themselves at the end of the genome. Gives to me a little too much advantage.

And another thing, does being inserted in the first gene really give an advantage. I can be wrong but, does .delgene inc .delgene inc, just does delete the second gene. The last gene could do desame and not be overwritten by just ''*.thisgene 1 sub .delgene store'' or am I wrong here.
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 03:28:24 PM »
You can tell the number of genes an enemy has by peeking at its .numgene (or .genenum?  I can never remember) using .memloc.  So it's very possible.

Quote from: Peter
And another thing, does being inserted in the first gene really give an advantage. I can be wrong but, does .delgene inc .delgene inc, just does delete the second gene. The last gene could do desame and not be overwritten by just ''*.thisgene 1 sub .delgene store'' or am I wrong here.

Right.  It would just delete the second gene, because .delgene is a sysvar not a command.  And anything that the first gene does can be overwritten later on.  The only advantage being first gives is that it could modify other sysvars before the other genes get to look at it.  ie: make friends look like enemies and vice-versa.  But since that first gene can't stop another gene from deleting it, I think it all balances out.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 07:55:14 PM »
Quote from: Numsgil
You can tell the number of genes an enemy has by peeking at its .numgene (or .genenum?  I can never remember) using .memloc.  So it's very possible.

It's .genes actually.
Many beers....