Author Topic: Crash on program start OPEN  (Read 3062 times)

Offline googlyeyesultra

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Crash on program start OPEN
« on: December 26, 2007, 10:45:02 PM »
Having just now installed the latest buddy drop (2.43x), I find a big, big error. On starting the program (every time, and I do have it in the proper directory), an error message comes up: "An Error Occurred. Darwinbots can not continue. Sorry. Invalid property value Darwinbots 380 0". The error is titled "Darwinbots" and has one button: "OK". Proceeding to click said button closes the window, but any attempts to continue (such as hitting file-new sim) will display a second, similar error message: "Run time error '380': Invalid property value." Hitting the "OK" button in this message instantly terminates the program.

Additional information:
I am running XP SP2.
I have succesfully run Darwinbots before, although not this buddy drop.
There is a small white square in the upper left corner of the blue bot field. Not sure what it is, and I can't recall it being there in previous versions.

If you need any more information, feel free to ask. I really want this resolved, seeing as it's a big issue.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 01:06:08 AM by EricL »

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 10:53:04 PM »
Can you please post your lastexit.sim located in your saves directory?  Once you do that, if you delete or rename that file, I bet it will run for you just fine.
Many beers....

Offline googlyeyesultra

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 11:23:27 PM »
Thanks. The rename fixed it. Can I assume that this is simply from the program trying to open a sim that is too old?

The (now-renamed) sim is attached.

Thanks. The rename fixed it. Can I assume that this is simply from the program trying to open a sim that is too old?

I've attached the sim.

That was weird as hell. Deja-vu, anyone?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 11:24:08 PM by googlyeyesultra »

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 01:03:30 AM »
There shouldn't be such a thing as too old of a sim file.  Sim files should be backward and forward compatable for many many many versions.  Myself and others have worked hard to make this so.

What likely happenned is that DB didn't exit clean the last time before you upgraded and the lastexit.sim got corrupted by being truncated.  This can happen if Windows reboots you to install a patch or if you kill the DB exe while it is exiting or perhaps because of a bug in the exit logic.  I'll take a look at the sim tomorrow to find out what the deal is and fix anything that needs fixing, but I mostly plan to leave this bug open to remind me to add some exception handling on the startup logic so that a corrupted lastexit.sim is bypassed and doesn't prevent the program from starting.
Many beers....

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 07:08:51 PM »
I took a look at the sim.   It's truncated as I thought.  I will leave this bug open until I add the logic to bypass truncated lastexit.sim files on startup.
Many beers....

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 04:16:50 PM »
bump to bring open bug to first page
Many beers....