Author Topic: Just some fun stuff  (Read 3800 times)

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Just some fun stuff
« on: March 27, 2005, 07:47:53 PM »
1.  Many plants have an interesting defense system against insects.  When they are damaged they release feromones attracting predatory insects, like wasps.

2.  Evolution of human brain was extremely rapid and involved multiple mutations in multiple genes.  It is estimated that for the last 300,000 years the average rate of fixation of mutations (related to brain function) in human population was 1 in 1000-2000 years.  And it is still evolving.  For example, at least one mutation appeared ~30.000 years ago and now is present in ~40% of all humans.  This is very recent history, considering the fact that our recorded history starts about 6000 years ago.

3.  Some predators have a mechanism to judge the aminoacid content of their stomachs in ~20 minutes (this is VERY fast).  If the amount of protein is not high enough, they puke it out.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Just some fun stuff
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 06:46:28 AM »
ok, thx, I wanna add one thing to nr 2. thx tot hat our ancestrors began to eat meat they got everything needed to support the new and bigger and better brain, whit out it we wouldnt have evolved
When I have the eclipse cannon under my control there is nothing that can stop me from ruling the world. And I wont stop there. I will never stop conquering worlds through the universe. All the worlds in the universe will belong to me. All the species in on them will be my slaves. THE ENIRE UNIVERSE WILL BELONG TO ME AND EVERYTHING IN IT :evil: AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE OF you CAN DO TO STOP ME. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline Ulciscor

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Just some fun stuff
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 05:47:35 PM »
Number [1] is really interesting, it's like an abstract form of symbiosis. Neither has a dramatic effect on the other but the connection is definitely there. That would be an amazing aspect for DB. Evolving bots that learn to co-exist.
:D Ulciscor :D

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Just some fun stuff
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 11:25:12 PM »
Should be possible once I get the env grid up.  The only technical problem I'm having still is how to diffuse the pheremones across the grid, or even if they should be diffused.

Since there are 32000 different pheremones possible, I have to make some creative touches here and there to get it to work right.