Author Topic: Evolving LF6  (Read 2820 times)

Offline MacadamiaNuts

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Evolving LF6
« on: December 20, 2007, 10:27:13 AM »
Last night I ran LF6 offline to see racial memory evolution. I put it in a 16kx12k toroidal sim with 25 anemone max as veggies, two intrasim teleporters and killer costs after 2000 cycles to force short generations.

Ran it for 135 generations, a bit slowed by graphing each 250 cycles (the graph drawing is slow under Linux). They don't say much:

[attachment=768:attachment]

But got some great results:

They widened their lateral eyes (1 & 9) from 30 to 100. I'm not sure what that means, because in a small sim they use xpos/ypos angle to aim. I think that could help when they are tiny and fast, and angle aiming actually puts them in "orbit".

They doubled their speed (racialmemory - actualspeed -> .up), from 100 to 200.

They raised their shell from 100 to 170. Last time I ran LF6 they did too, so most surely shell is giving them a great advantage.

vShoot went from 20 to 70.  The virus would cancel anemone's body feeding.

The other racial memory values didn't change much or didn't mean anything in that sim, but as test values none of them evolved randomly more than 25 units from the original value.
Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose...

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Evolving LF6
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 03:22:16 PM »
Pretty cool.  I find the approach of using a single memory location to govern the expression of a complex, underlying, much longer "subroutine" sequence very interesting in an evolutionary sense in that it illuminates a mechanism for how and why evolution would layer, nest and control genomic functionality and building blocks.  

I often ponder about the evolvability of the DB DNA - the degree to which the form of the DNA itself encourages or discourages the evolution of complexity; such things as the minimum number of base pairs required to perform some specific behaviour and whether evolution can "get there from here" - whether there is a "smooth" path of benificial, incremental mutations that could lead to that sequence which selection can favor over time.  The answer to this is critical as just because something is expressable in DB DNA does not necesarily mean that it can evolve.  There may be no incremental evolutionary path through the phenotype space leading to that complex sequence.   But assuming there is a path, once evolution stumbles on a long, perhaps fragile but highly useful sequnece, controling the expression of that sequence through a single control location makes a lot of sense.  That sequence can become stable and much less subject to mutation - a building block upon which richer capabilities can evolve and depend.

In biology, there are incredibly stable genes that go back billions of years that almost all biological organimsms share that have not changed much in all that time.  Yet the degree to which these underlying "subroutine" genes are expressed or controlled in different organisms can vary greatly through control mechanisms such as Hox genes.  I just find it interesting that we have stumbled upon the similar mechainism of mutating and evolving a single high level expression value rather than the comples, fragile sequence itself.
Many beers....