Author Topic: Hey / Noob-ish question  (Read 4008 times)

Offline Motor.On

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Hey / Noob-ish question
« on: December 17, 2007, 06:24:28 PM »
Hey guys

I've been messing with DarwinBots for about a week now, and have a question about two possible alga and how I would go about making them:

the first is thus:
I've created a simple multibot, but I've noticed that the little "herbivore" I've made manages to utterly destroy it every single time, so I was wondering if there was some way that I could make it grow to be  certain number of bots in size (say, 10) and then all further offspring would be "shot" off in random directions, so that the species would have a better chance of survival.

Any ideas about how to do this?  Or where I would find how to do this?

my second idea:
After messing with gravity, I created an alga that maintains a depth of 5000 and I've discovered that it survives a lot better than minimus or my multibot alga, and Now I was wondering if I could combine the two, because it seems that a multibot is supposed to be better, but my little guy keeps winning.  my idea was thus:
have a multibot where the first cell "floats" at whatever depth I choose and then the offspring dangle below it.  Unfortunately I don't know how to only make the first bot float.  Also, it seems that I should have the top bot start creating other strands of itself after creating the first attached bot, allowing the attached one to continue to grow down.

I don't know how hard these would be to do, and I'm not even sure if anyone checks these forums anymore... but, I figured that it's no harm in asking and it could seriously help.

Thanks

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Hey / Noob-ish question
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 08:11:56 PM »
Welcome aboard.

The forums are quite active.

You can certainly do what you suggest but answering your questions in detail is probably beyond the scope of the Newbie forum.  What I suggest is that you post your bot code (in the DNA help forum) and go from there.  Otherwise, it is impossible for us to know what you mean by things such as "the little "herbivore" I've made manages to utterly destroy it every single time".
Many beers....

Offline Motor.On

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Hey / Noob-ish question
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 08:14:58 PM »
Thanks.

I realized that the forums are active right after I posted that and felt a little bad about it, sorry.

I will do that, thanks

Offline Welwordion

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Hey / Noob-ish question
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 12:14:41 PM »
Hmm for the shooting there you could use a tiesnapping gene, basically set the tielength to an insanely large value and the two bots involved shot in opposte directions, that is if there was not any change to the tie phsyics like I know them.(remember there once was a gene for this in the gene depository, do not know if its still there )

Offline fulizer

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Hey / Noob-ish question
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 04:52:51 AM »
Quote from: EricL
they don't seem like it in. some subforums the newest post was a post I added four days ago (lasst day of school that thursday   )
"If this is coffee bring me tea, If this is tea, bring me coffee"

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Hey / Noob-ish question
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 05:20:41 AM »
Quote from: fulizer
Quote from: EricL
they don't seem like it in. some subforums the newest post was a post I added four days ago (lasst day of school that thursday   )
Well, Eric doesn't mean active in the sence of 100 users in the last 15 minutes. But means active in the sense of, hey there has been something posted last week. And wow there in one other user online.

This forum isn't very very active, correct. But atleast there are several posts every day.  

And your subforum where the last post is a few days ago means nothing, there are some where the last post is a couple of years ago.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 05:21:10 AM by Peter »
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Hey / Noob-ish question
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 08:06:57 PM »
Good luck with your herbivore, they can be damn nasty critters seeing as they get free energy!

I think you are talking about having an internal counter to remember the number of offspring, that should be fairly easy allowing for mistakes, the second question I would address using 'sun' to calculate which direction the bot should be facing when it gives birth, if you are talking about having the 'parent' produce  a new 'baby' inbetween its last offspring and its self then I don't think that's possible, the 'baby' would have to be a certain distance away from the 'mother' before it could produce another 'youngster' in the same direction.

Regards, and welcome to the forum!
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have in your hands is a non-working cat.
Douglas Adams