Author Topic: new tieing text  (Read 3573 times)

Offline fulizer

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
new tieing text
« on: December 05, 2007, 03:39:27 AM »
when a bot shoots a tie it should actually be a shot (maybye -7) so that if you want to make a tie bot from a pre existing bot its not totally impossible just change the -1 or whatever to the tie shooting number.
and yes I do know that tie shots arnt actualy a real shot
"If this is coffee bring me tea, If this is tea, bring me coffee"

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
new tieing text
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 09:44:59 AM »
To make a tie all you need to do is .tie inc.  I don't see how using the shot interface would be easier.

Offline Welwordion

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
new tieing text
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 01:14:06 PM »
Well I do not know why fulizer would want it, buts as for me it would be nice to use the backshoot and aimshoot commands with ties, its rather stupid that tieing which prevents the bot from turning properly actually needs turning the eyepoint towards target to be performed.

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
new tieing text
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 02:13:55 PM »
Quote from: Welwordion
Well I do not know why fulizer would want it, buts as for me it would be nice to use the backshoot and aimshoot commands with ties, its rather stupid that tieing which prevents the bot from turning properly actually needs turning the eyepoint towards target to be performed.
Jeah aiming a tie, it sounds good. A sysvar .aimtie could be cool. Storing a negative number let it go left and a positive number let it go right. Like .aimshoot.

Is there anything against it, is this possible to implent.
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
new tieing text
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 08:35:56 PM »
As much as I hate fulizer's avatar (it creeps me out) I kind of like the idea of a tie shot at a high level.

That ties are instantaneous laser beams has always botherred me.  Using a shot paradym would introduce a propagation delay to tie establishment.

Graphically, I could still make it look like a tie, one that got a little longer each cycle until it "impacted".

We could introduce a tie shot type while maintaining the current tie sysvars and paradym.  The advantage to shooting a tie rather than using .tie is that it could be aimed or powerred up for longer range via .shootval and you don't have to necessarily be looking at or even have viewed what you fire at.  You coudl fire tie shots at things in eyes other than the focus eye.  The disadvantage is the propogation delay and the inherent accuracy issues.   What bot the tie actually ends up tying to would be a function of the tie shot trajectory (the leading end of the tie) and would exhibit the same unpredicability as other shot types.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 08:37:43 PM by EricL »
Many beers....

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
new tieing text
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 07:10:15 AM »
Yes I like it  

Would this matter to a upbuilding MB, if the bots lie next to eachother and then shoot a tie. Is the tie that will be formed made instantly or is that too made with some delay.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
new tieing text
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 01:12:16 PM »
Quote from: Peter
Would this matter to a upbuilding MB, if the bots lie next to eachother and then shoot a tie. Is the tie that will be formed made instantly or is that too made with some delay.
It would take N cycles for a shot tie to form where N depends on the velocity of the tie shot and the distance between the bots.  .tiepres and .numties would change on the cycle in which the tie shot impacted and the actual tie formed.  Tie shot would be "fire and forget".  Once fired, the bot can turn and move and doing so would have no impact on the tie shot trajectory, just like every other shot type.

Note that This would be backwards comptable.  Traditional tie formation would continue to work.  We might want to drop the range for tradntional tie formation (as it's pretty far right now).  Or not.
Many beers....

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
new tieing text
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 12:38:01 AM »
Would be a pretty cool idea, you could fire off tie shots in hopes of hitting something while at the same time looking for food elsewhere. If your shot finds a target it would tie to you so you could feed/share/etc. from it.

For more formalized MB construction or a target right in front, you'd just use the older method.

I "think" a virus is counted as a -7 shot type in the actual code(note can't actually be shot this way), might have to make it a different number.

"ties, its rather stupid that tieing which prevents the bot from turning properly actually needs turning the eyepoint towards target to be performed."

Using .setaim allows tied bots to turn without impacting the other bots. Pretty handy trick since the bots can spin individually hunting for food, while reaping the bennefits of being an MB/tier.

314 rnd *.aim add .setaim store
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 12:47:06 AM by Endy »

Offline fulizer

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
new tieing text
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 11:11:27 AM »
Quote from: EricL
As much as I hate fulizer's avatar (it creeps me out) I kind of like the idea of a tie shot at a high level.
I will need to find a new one then wont I?
im working on it now
"If this is coffee bring me tea, If this is tea, bring me coffee"

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
new tieing text
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 12:29:30 PM »
Quote from: fulizer
I will need to find a new one then wont I?
im working on it now
Well nice cat, I like it, maybe it is time to get a avatar myself.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 12:30:02 PM by Peter »