Author Topic: The State of the Simulation  (Read 29539 times)

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
The State of the Simulation
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2008, 02:24:27 PM »
Quote from: Trafalgar
I have to say, I really don't like them. I don't think veggies should be running around in a chain and killing everything they find with shots and tie attacks.

That's why I only give my veggies 1 nrg/cycle and have day/night cycles set to 32000, and have vision turned off. The difference between an autotroph hunter and heterotroph hunter should be insignificant. The reason why veggies are the only ones that survives in my sim is because of costX that I need to use to prevent my sim to choke with bots. A hunter that can use it's energy a little more strategically, like shooting only when there's something to shoot at, and not constantly swims around aimlessly shouldn't have any problems surviving in my sim. On the contrary such a bot would most likely take over my sim completely.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 02:27:36 PM by Testlund »
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline Peksa

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2008, 04:20:29 PM »
How would costs per species sound?

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2008, 07:34:58 PM »
How about an extra checkbox on the costs tab; include heterotrophs in costx? If just one of them is checked then increases/decreases in costX will only apply for the one checked.
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2008, 04:46:14 PM »
I wrote SV and SV2 to demonstrate exactly this - that veggies are too powerful.

Well, they are too powerful only under F1 conditions. Simple tweaks in costs and feeding take their advantages away. SV and SV2 were never able to get even slightly successful in my sim, because I feed veggies per kilobody point and have no limit on the number of veggies, only on total energy in the sim. SV2 just explodes into a hundred tiny bots that don't possess enough body to get energy for running and surviving the "night". So they die out. Simple as that.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Trafalgar

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2008, 06:10:33 PM »
Wow, Spinner seems to have gone extinct.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2008, 09:12:19 PM »
I have a couple hundred sea snakes in my sim.  They all seem to be only two bots long.  Is that on purpose, or is it a mutation or something?

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2008, 09:59:35 PM »
Quote from: Numsgil
I have a couple hundred sea snakes in my sim.  They all seem to be only two bots long.  Is that on purpose, or is it a mutation or something?
They have mutated in a round about fashion.  Seasnake itself is marked not to mutate, but it shoots it's single gene as a virus, which can mutate in other host bots and in turn, get shot back into seasnake hosts.  As long as the DNA length stays at 1727, original seasnakes won't kill mutated versions.  There hasn't been much competition lately, so there's nothing to preserve the MB.  The snake genome is drifting.   Slowly but surely, evolution finds a way....
Many beers....

Offline gymsum

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2008, 12:38:37 AM »
I think I've found your Seasnake's advesary... Run the PLankton with point, copy and insetion mutations only and I find that the seasnake often fails to keep its dna preserved.

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2008, 08:52:21 PM »
For the last two days I've had no luck connecting to the IM server   Not a singe time....

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2008, 04:56:24 PM »
Now it's working!

But anyway, nothing fun comes in   I get tons of SeaSnakes from Eric, but they can't compete with my Alga minimalis, even when ALL costs are turned off.  This really sucks, as I'm seeing a lot of diversity in behavior evolving even within my own sim. It goes through stages, I had "sit next to shape and fire" bots, then "just run and shoot" bots, then "spin and shoot" bots, and now they seem to move toward "run in circles" bots. Remember circumgyrans? Or whatever they were called...  Well, I have this stuff evolved in my sim. See the attached pic.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2008, 05:04:27 PM »
heh, that's neat.

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2008, 05:44:23 PM »
And just to illustrate the level of diversity that I see, here's a pic of two more sub-species (notice the difference in color) that exist in the same sim at the same time with the stuff I posted above.  If only we had more coherent sims connected to each other...

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2008, 05:52:17 PM »
I have about a half dozen computers I'm going to connect as soon as IM can be left unattended for weeks on end without breaking.

Offline asterixx

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2008, 09:30:25 PM »
Well, after about 850 hours, my zerobot sim collapsed, and I tried bringing it back to life but they kept going extinct; I think I can blame that on there being no family recognition, although the last bot alive wasn't the "bully/mass murderer" as I had expected so I dont know. I'm going to abandon that project for awhile and just try tinkering with internet mode: Is it functional?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 09:30:57 PM by asterixx »
"Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you.  Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch it to be sure."

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2008, 11:13:24 PM »
It is, but may need to restart the program from time to time if the connection goes bad.