Author Topic: The State of the Simulation  (Read 29548 times)

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
The State of the Simulation
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2008, 07:12:15 PM »
Yup.  Spinner 1.5 has made the snake extinct in EricL2 and it's on it's way out in EricL.  Nicely done.

The snake is dead.  Long live the snake!
Many beers....

Offline Moonfisher

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2008, 01:03:11 PM »
It looks like Spinner never fully eradicated Seasnake 1.2, I still see about 100 of them left.
It also looks like Seasnake 1.3 is advancing slowly but surely, it was at 30 when I got on and it's over 100 now...
It's not certain that it will push back spinner, but it looks like that's what happening.
So it looks like spinners reign won't last much longer, was nice while it lasted

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2008, 01:47:00 PM »
Sorry for getting longwinded about my costs but Sea Snake 1.2 seems to have evolved to handle a small amount of my morphological costs. It was swimming
around and feeding for awhile with CostX at 1.12024. Then later they were all gone. I think the reason for that is my bots are spread out a lot, so they couldn't keep getting enough food in the long run.
They don't appear to be snakes any longer though, more like single bots that follow each other and on occation form ties to it. Also they tend to shoot info shots into alga causing the alga to swim away from them. Not so smart I think.
I just came back to check on my sim this evening and I have several colonies of Alga Antiviral here and there.
Now my costX has started to increase again (4.9 and counting), so only conservative bots will survive now.
You may wonder why I'm not getting bored with such a sim, but I find it kind of exciting to see what ever evolves. It doesn't have to be aggressive hunters for me to like it, but it would be nice if I could at least get a tie feeder. Sigh.
There was this sleep scientist once that said that "the meaning of life is to sleep. There's no point in running around and burn a lot of energy". That's how all life more or less behave on the planet; not to burn more energy than absolutely needed, because life is costly. Waste too much energy and you die. The more costly the environment the more conservative you need to be. That's why the Grizzly bear sleeps half the year, and the other half it constantly eats so it can sleep again. Sleeping, eating and reproducing is what life is about.  
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2008, 02:14:09 PM »
My three favorite things

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2008, 02:52:11 PM »
I thought you programmers didn't have time with any of that.  
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2008, 07:17:48 PM »
We squeeze them in while the code compiles

Also, IIRC, for humans sleep doesn't burn that much less calories than being awake.  Mostly sleep seems to be for the brain to defrag, which takes a lot of calories.  The rest of the body apparently doesn't really care if it's just laying still and not moving or actually asleep.

Offline goffrie

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2008, 09:31:36 PM »
Hmm, you might know this, but http://xkcd.com/303/

Offline Trafalgar

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2008, 09:42:09 PM »
Does Spinner's strbody tie attack actually instakill? I thought strbody/fdbody was capped at 100 energy per cycle in either direction.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2008, 09:55:40 PM »
Quote from: goffrie

Yeah, XKCD is on my list of webcomics that I check out every morning.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2008, 10:00:06 PM »
Quote from: Trafalgar
I thought strbody/fdbody was capped at 100 energy per cycle in either direction.
It is.
Many beers....

Offline The_Duck

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2008, 09:31:01 PM »
Quote from: goffrie

and http://xkcd.com/203/

Offline Trafalgar

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2008, 10:46:52 PM »
For a time, my sim consisted of a vast desert with one or two colonies of alga antiviral. Most things which teleported in never found the food. Now, however, it seems to have been taken over by shrinking violet 2.

I have to say, I really don't like them. I don't think veggies should be running around in a chain and killing everything they find with shots and tie attacks.  

Or, to have any chance of my normal bots competing, I'd have to mark them as veggies.

The worst part is that there are no normal edible veggies anywhere due to there already being 60+ killer mobile veggies in the sim.

(Does anyone know if these are actually the original form of these bots, or if their genomes were replaced by another bot? I haven't seen them in the IM before, they just showed up a couple hours ago here.)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 10:48:37 PM by Trafalgar »

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2008, 11:14:32 PM »
Quote from: Trafalgar
(Does anyone know if these are actually the original form of these bots, or if their genomes were replaced by another bot? I haven't seen them in the IM before, they just showed up a couple hours ago here.)
I wrote SV and SV2 to demonstrate exactly this - that veggies are too powerful.  They can compete by simply runnign away and starving a sim.  They owned IM a month or two ago and I just re-introduced them.  For fun...    They're quite short and simple, they don't mutate, they use omin-eye vision and their defneses arn't bullet proof.  You should be able to get close enough to eat em.  Seasnake 1.3 seems to live off them okay.  But they sure don't act like veggies....

I've long made the argument that there should be some penality for being a veggie and getting all that free nrg from heaven such as no movement or vision or similar but have constantly been overruled by the evo veggie crowd.  There are several topics on this in the suggestiosn forum where I make detailed suggestiosn as to what to do.  Again, I have been consistantly overruled...  This is one reason both my IM sims have the sun turned off...

Oh, and if they are running around in chains usign ties, they are no longer origianl.  They have been infected with Seasnake DNA.
Many beers....

Offline Trafalgar

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2008, 12:59:39 AM »
Quote from: EricL
I've long made the argument that there should be some penality for being a veggie and getting all that free nrg from heaven such as no movement or vision or similar but have constantly been overruled by the evo veggie crowd.  There are several topics on this in the suggestiosn forum where I make detailed suggestiosn as to what to do.  Again, I have been consistantly overruled...  This is one reason both my IM sims have the sun turned off...

What if the veggie cap was per species?

And yeah, they must be infected with seasnake DNA, because they're anything but easy to kill.

Offline Moonfisher

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2008, 07:36:44 AM »
You could either increase costs severely for veggies to balance them out.
Or you could disable energy gain while evggies are moving or shooting and such, only give energy when they're doing nothing (Or virtualy nothing).
Or just require a veggy to fix itself before it can gain any energy, probably balance it so you need to be fixed for a while to get the full amount of energy per cycle.

Lots of options... but it's obvious that veggies are overpowered it's just a normal bot that gains 40 nrg per cycle instead of loosing around 1-2... it does have a pop cap but still...