Author Topic: The State of the Simulation  (Read 29538 times)

Offline MacadamiaNuts

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
The State of the Simulation
« on: December 14, 2007, 09:55:23 AM »
Open topic for updates about what's going on in the IM sims.

Multiply is ruling with Lionfish 5.x subversions going up and down. And stickerbush is still the king of the green hill.
Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose...

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 10:33:36 AM »
Nice idea, I suggest too that everyone post some graphs of is happening in IM, I like graphs. I can't post graphs as I still can't connect, I'd like to see what's happening.
Have commentaries of IM on other topice and keep this one just a overview fromwhat is happening in IM, keeps it cleaner.

Quote from: MacadamiaNuts
Multiply is ruling with Lionfish 5.x subversions going up and down. And stickerbush is still the king of the green hill.
Wow, really multiply, then someone probably introduced it. Happy to see it is surviving, and evolving could very well get better bots, as it is far from optimal, as I just optimised it by deleting or adding zeros  , talking about effiency.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 10:35:24 AM by Peter »
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 11:04:04 AM »
Windows rebooted EricL3 in the night and the sim didn't get saved in time, so I had to take that machine back in time a day or two which is where all the new Flypaper 3.2's in IM just came from...
Many beers....

Offline MacadamiaNuts

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 12:42:27 PM »
Now its:

748 - Lionfish 5
501 - stickerbush
379 - multiply
276 - Flypaper 3.2
167 - plant
118 - Alga_Minimalis
88 - Lionfish 5.2
78 - multiply 5199
44 - Lionfish 6
43 - algadillo
38 - anemone
35 - Lionfish 5 9149
14 - multiply 1525

Lionfish 5 seems to be in EricL2 and EricL3. Yesterday I found that the body feeding and the self evolution were seriously broken, so I updated it to 6.

LF5 breaks the birth tie too early, so it always defaults back to vanilla then mutates once. Also only big bots were using the body feed. In LF5.2 I added learning. They broadcast their evolutions one at once, and younger bots copy them.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 12:42:59 PM by MacadamiaNuts »

Offline MacadamiaNuts

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 01:30:41 PM »
Right now Flypaper 3.2 is on a spike up to 3800.

Offline MacadamiaNuts

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 10:07:39 PM »
I lost yesterday's graph.  

Now there's:

3018 - Flypaper 3.2 (that sim has been stuck since yesterday)
976 - multiply (it has been spiking around 1500 all the time)
883 - stickerbush
530 - Alga_Minimalis
458 - Lionfish 5 (it entered my LF6 sim and now owns half of it   )
271 - Lionfish 6
And some under 11 that are in the stuck sim too.

I had recently teleported in:
multiply from EricL2 and EricL3.
Lionfish 5 from Bot House and EricL3, and it's in my sim now too.
Lionfish 6 from EricL. There are over a hundred not in my sim.
stickerbush from everywhere.  
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 10:10:22 PM by MacadamiaNuts »

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 04:53:35 AM »
If the pop files are stuck, a simple fix is to delete them, they create themself again after. Atleast that worked in earlier versions.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 02:59:43 PM »
LF6 seems not to have taken hold and appears extinct in the currently connected sims.

Melangis(Garet) currently at the top of the heap though that species is concentrated in a single newly connected sim (presenty experiencing a population spike) and has yet to expereince much interaction with other species.  Then it goes:

multiply
Shrinking Violet
stickerbush
LF5
Alaga
and some others in the double digits

I introduced Shrinking Violet last night.  Very simple (66 bp) one gene organism (used new conditional paradym) but with some interesting implications.  It's totally defensive.  Flees from everything, super small for speed and to avoid being shot, plays by different rules than stickerbush and should displace it.  Uses omnieye targetting, so may not rule large sims until 2.43w.  But I expect it will become the dominate veggy.  It's very hard to catch and should have serious implications on up the food chain.  

I'm telling you, veggies are too powerful...
Many beers....

Offline Garat

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 03:41:09 PM »
Yes, Melangis has to experience much interactions.

I'm not sure that he is somewhere else than on my computer

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 04:39:50 PM »
Current standing

Melangis(Garai) ~2000
Multiply(peter)   ~1800
Shrinking Violet ~700
Lionfish 5          ~450
Lionfish 6          ~450
Alga minimalis   ~300
Lionfish S-V       ~260
Beholder           ~250
Stickerbush       ~100
Multiply(simple) ~100

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 08:07:54 PM »
I had a huge spike of Melangis, but then lionfish 6 came in, killed off the whole sim and died   I kind of liked these little bastards...

Now I have mostly multiply and some Lionfishes. But Lionfish population is fairly stable, so I'm hoping to get a complex ecosystem going. See the attached picture. (multiply is green, alga is brown and lionfish are blue)
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 08:32:26 PM »
multiply and LF seems to co-exist/co-evolve pretty well together.  LF can take on a bunch of multiply's, but too many and LF gets overwhelmed.  Neither seems to be able to wipe the other out completley in my sims.  

But I'm wonderring how they will do longer term without a ready source of easy nrg from fat, stupid veggies.  Shrinking Violet has largly displaced stickerbush.  There's a bunch of other veggy species from new or periodicly connected sims, but I predict they won't last.  It's just a matter of time before SV displaces them, particularly once 2.43w comes out (a day or two) and omnieye navigation works on larger fields.  In EricL for example, which is running a pre-release 2.43w, the population has fallen to the point where the cost multiplier is 0.  Multiply and LF survive in low numbers, preying on each other and the occasional teleported in veggy or mutated SV beg bertha.  Catching a live SV is rare and generaly a function of luck, trapping it against a shape for example (still have to fix wide-eye shape recognition).

My goal with SV is to raise the stakes on what it takes for a bot to be successful in IM.  No more fat, easy veggies lying around providing easy nrg for relatively stupid bots.  People wanted full function veggies, you got em.  Now to be sucessful, your bot has to either prey on non-veggies (which themselves have to exist in soem numbers and get their nrg from somewhere) or catch SV's.  Someone is goign to have to catch SV's - no easy task.  I suggest strategies such as herding cooperation between multiple hunting bots, ambushes from behind shapes, corning in the corners of non-tooridal sims and so on.  Good luck.

I told you, veggies are too powerful...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 08:35:15 PM by EricL »
Many beers....

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 09:25:40 PM »
Quote from: EricL
I told you, veggies are too powerful...

Heh, I like that post script at the end of all your posts.  I say, bring it!  If and when it is shown that a veggy exists that is simply broken and cannot be defeated, we can make some changes.

I am extremely tempted to devote my pre-Christmas down time to constructing a novel bot strategy.  Maybe some sort of phalanx to mow down those barbarians.  The DNA is increasingly getting to the ideal I imagined when I first joined.  If only the physics were as easy

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 09:44:18 PM »
Oh, no need to spend yoru vacation that way.  There's a real easy way to defeat SV.  Just turn off the sun! Veggy repop may (eventually) supplant it in your sim.  But of course, if everybody turns off the sun, then that effectivly illiminates the advantage of being a veg in IM, which is what I wanted in the first place!!!!  Ha hah!!!!!  Can't you see the beauty, the billiance of those simple little 66 base pairs???!!!!  I feel so.... diabolical!!!

Did I mention that veggies are too powerful?
Many beers....

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 12:11:19 AM »
Actually, giving energy proportionally to the body and giving only energy (not body) handicaps SV severely. It came to my sim, but could not displace "fat stupid Alga Shellular"
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam