Author Topic: The State of the Simulation  (Read 32411 times)

Offline MacadamiaNuts

  • Bot Destroyer
  • ***
  • Posts: 273
    • View Profile
The State of the Simulation
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2007, 08:09:12 AM »
Thick fluid physics are funnier. ^^
Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose...

Offline MacadamiaNuts

  • Bot Destroyer
  • ***
  • Posts: 273
    • View Profile
The State of the Simulation
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2007, 09:51:34 AM »
[attachment=764:attachment]

Lionfish 6b wishes you merry end of 2007.
Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose...

Offline shvarz

  • Bot God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1341
    • View Profile
The State of the Simulation
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2007, 01:47:20 PM »
I'm having a huge spike of anemones right now. I expect the population will crash fairly soon. I also have viruses spreading like crazy.

I have a bit of Lionfish around, multiply is gone. Just a single Shrinking Violet and it barely survives - most of my veggies are Alga Shellular. Anyone else have these? They are very inefficient and defenseless and take forever to grow and divide, so I don't imagine they survive in other people's sims.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Peter

  • Bot God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1177
    • View Profile
The State of the Simulation
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2007, 02:25:47 PM »
Quote from: shvarz
I'm having a huge spike of anemones right now. I expect the population will crash fairly soon. I also have viruses spreading like crazy.

I have a bit of Lionfish around, multiply is gone. Just a single Shrinking Violet and it barely survives - most of my veggies are Alga Shellular. Anyone else have these? They are very inefficient and defenseless and take forever to grow and divide, so I don't imagine they survive in other people's sims.
The grow in virus has probably coused the lower population of multiply. I haven't got a serious anti-virus-system in them, they do have a passive no-repro defence, but I have noticed that's the first thing that goes broke in evosims.

And about the veggies, I had them  . Mainly becouse it was the first bot that came in  , But I have had them.
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline MacadamiaNuts

  • Bot Destroyer
  • ***
  • Posts: 273
    • View Profile
The State of the Simulation
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2007, 03:59:25 PM »
1522 - multiply(peter)
593 - Shrinking Violet
488 - Lionfish 1.4 (!?)
376 - anemone
219 - Alga Shellular
120 - anemone 1256
116 - Lionfish 6
66 - Lionfish 5
20 - Explosive shrinking violet
10 - Mutatis
etc.

I've been puzzled all day about LF 1.4. That's a quite old bot, I could swear I haven't loaded it in the last month. Who's running it?

EDIT: Ok, I saw one coming from EricL2. Yet, it must have entered there from somewhere else. :?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 04:02:13 PM by MacadamiaNuts »
Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose...

Offline Peter

  • Bot God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1177
    • View Profile
The State of the Simulation
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2007, 04:04:11 PM »
Quote from: MacadamiaNuts
I've been puzzled all day about LF 1.4. That's a quite old bot, I could swear I haven't loaded it in the last month. Who's running it?
Well it is beating your lionfish in numbers  

Same thing about multiply, it is old(well realtive) and I did't introduce it last month.
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline MacadamiaNuts

  • Bot Destroyer
  • ***
  • Posts: 273
    • View Profile
The State of the Simulation
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2007, 04:52:06 PM »
That's sort of a General Rule of DB:

The most complex you do a bot, the duller it is at surviving.
Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose...

Offline EricL

  • Administrator
  • Bot God
  • *****
  • Posts: 2266
    • View Profile
The State of the Simulation
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2007, 06:05:47 PM »
A bunch of old bots  - LF 1.4, Pred9 - came in from Num's machine.  He hadn't connected to IM in a long time and the last time he did, I still had a bug where I would teleport out more than would be uploaded, so bots would build up in the local out directory for fast running sims where the cycles per upload was high.  He probably had a bunch  - maybe hundreds - still there that got uploaded.
Many beers....

Offline Numsgil

  • Administrator
  • Bot God
  • *****
  • Posts: 7742
    • View Profile
The State of the Simulation
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2007, 07:03:17 PM »
My Darwinbots install has problems with the internet connection.  After a few hours the FTP control breaks until I reset the program.  So a lot of the time my sim runs unconnected for a while

Offline MacadamiaNuts

  • Bot Destroyer
  • ***
  • Posts: 273
    • View Profile
The State of the Simulation
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2007, 07:22:14 PM »
That happens to me too, I thought it was only my punishment for turning into a linux weirdo.

The above thing is why I like local in/out teleporters. You can store there all sorts of bots and then get them back mixed together.

Life is like a DarwinBot's inbound 'porter --you never know what you gonna get.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 07:24:43 PM by MacadamiaNuts »
Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose...

Offline Peter

  • Bot God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1177
    • View Profile
The State of the Simulation
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2007, 04:12:17 PM »
Current standings

1965 - Duplo
1780 - Lionfish 1.4
809 - Lionfish 4
607 - Shrinking Violet
248 - Alga_minimalis
61 - Mutatis
34 - Lionfish 5
22 - Multiply(peter)
16 - Ex. Shrinking Violet
6 - Preditor9(EricL)
2 - anemone

Multiply has fallen low, if I look now there are only 22 left. Could someone grap the dna of it, I'd like to see what have changed. Change isn't very big I'll see it teleporting in in my sim.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 04:14:09 PM by Peter »
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline MacadamiaNuts

  • Bot Destroyer
  • ***
  • Posts: 273
    • View Profile
The State of the Simulation
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2008, 10:56:08 AM »
Mmh... the population files I receive are always the same. I tried to delete them manually and wait them to be downloaded again, but got the same stats.
Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose...

Offline EricL

  • Administrator
  • Bot God
  • *****
  • Posts: 2266
    • View Profile
The State of the Simulation
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2008, 11:08:14 AM »
I wait between 24 and 48 hours before deleting server-side pop files for inactive sims.  When is a sim really gone as opposed to just down for a bit?  24 hours minimum, 48 max was a simple easy choice.

Try it now.  I deleted them by hand.
Many beers....

Offline Moonfisher

  • Bot Overlord
  • ****
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
The State of the Simulation
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2008, 10:28:54 AM »
I still can't get internet mode to work...
I switch on the F1 internet mode flag, then the log sais it's deleting the old pop files, then once the first countdown is over I get the graph.
But after that... nothing happens, the only values on the graph to change are the ones for bots that I'm running myself.

I wanted to see if Pacifist could handle the 25K internet challenge, but if I never send out my bots I don't see how that would happen.
Tryed just making a max size environment with 300 alge, but everything just froze up completely around 9K while the bot was still just getting started...
I suspect that my bot may have problems spreading through teleporters (Since they're always small and average 0-250 nrg while hibernating below 100).
I guess you could do all sorts of stuff, like disable hibernation below a certain myspecies count, or save up energy above a certain myspecies count, but it seems "unethical" to try to adjust the bot to be well suited for teleportation...
I'm hoping the infected alge minimalis would be able to clear the way, or atleast survive so it can feed incoming pacifists...

Either way it doesn't matter if I can't get internet mode to work...

Would be cool if someone would try out Pacifist on internet mode and tell me if it has a chance...

Offline rsucoop

  • Bot Destroyer
  • ***
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
The State of the Simulation
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2008, 01:55:14 PM »
Quote from: Moonfisher
I still can't get internet mode to work...
I switch on the F1 internet mode flag, then the log sais it's deleting the old pop files, then once the first countdown is over I get the graph.
But after that... nothing happens, the only values on the graph to change are the ones for bots that I'm running myself.

I wanted to see if Pacifist could handle the 25K internet challenge, but if I never send out my bots I don't see how that would happen.
Tryed just making a max size environment with 300 alge, but everything just froze up completely around 9K while the bot was still just getting started...
I suspect that my bot may have problems spreading through teleporters (Since they're always small and average 0-250 nrg while hibernating below 100).
I guess you could do all sorts of stuff, like disable hibernation below a certain myspecies count, or save up energy above a certain myspecies count, but it seems "unethical" to try to adjust the bot to be well suited for teleportation...
I'm hoping the infected alge minimalis would be able to clear the way, or atleast survive so it can feed incoming pacifists...

Either way it doesn't matter if I can't get internet mode to work...

Would be cool if someone would try out Pacifist on internet mode and tell me if it has a chance...

I have ahd the same problem before. Its just that the computer and the server can't establish a secure enough connection; could be a weak line or an overcrowded server. When it works you get a teleporter, I've had little success because their are no real strong anti-viral genes out there right now, so the Lionfish comes in and destroys entire sims. I would suggest making a stronger antiviral gene before using your Pacifist.