Author Topic: .mrepro description wrong? RESOLVED (2.43y)  (Read 3848 times)

Offline Welwordion

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
.mrepro description wrong? RESOLVED (2.43y)
« on: December 08, 2007, 10:49:10 AM »
Wiki:
Mutational Reproduction

Virtually identical to normal reproduction is .mrepro, the primary difference is that mutation rates are 10 times the normal values. This reproduction method will cause mutations even if all mutation settings are disabled.

Me:
I disabled the mutations of my bot and run it with .mrepro no mutations whatsoever. The idea was to run a zerobot which however has a virus (with 10 store commands beside its own code), which deletes itself before reproduction  in order to keep its DNA clean.
Use attached bot to test.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 02:59:30 PM by EricL »

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 12:46:58 PM »
Your right, the Wiki is incorrect.  .mrepro will NOT casue mutation at reproduction time if mutations are disabled for the bot.  This is not my doing, it has been this way for a very long time.

I'm happy to go either way - leave the code the way it is and change the Wiki or allow .mrepro to mutate bots for which mutations are disabled.

Excellent bug report BTW.  I do appreciate it.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 12:48:16 PM by EricL »
Many beers....

Offline Welwordion

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 03:17:16 PM »
Well It would be nice to have a tool in order  to selectively mutate, for example if you have a multibot or a bot using smaller bots as servants you do not really want mutation to occur during "construction", but when the "main body" reproduces you want to have it. Also like I said this gives a way to transmit certain genes as unmutated viruseses.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 03:28:59 PM »
I'll second that.  It's nice to be able to mutate even when mutations are disabled for you.  In real life, you can imagine it being possible to use a less accurate DNA copying mechanism, even if your regular one is 100% accurate.

However, I think the user should be able to really disable mutations for the sim.  Maybe mrepro is scaled by the mutation multiplier.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 04:24:24 PM »
I could change it so that .mrepro works even for mutation disabled bots, have it respect the multipler but then also add a global Disable Mutations setting for the sim (in kepping with Disable Ties) that would override ther per-bot settings and prevent mutations for all bots in the sim, even .mrepro...
Many beers....

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 05:56:54 PM »
Sounds good.

(in captain's voice:) make it so
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 05:57:32 PM by Numsgil »

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 12:23:00 AM »
Sounds like the best method, think it was originally done to keep veggies from mutating when it wasn't desired. Not really an issue anymore.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 03:02:38 PM »
Okay.  In 2.43y, .mrepro will mutate a bot even if mutations are disabled for bots of that species.  A global Disable Mutations checkbox has been added to to the Mutations tab on the Options dialog.  Checking this checkbox will disable ALL mutations in the sim including those from .mrepro, effectivly turning .mrepro into .repro.
Many beers....