Author Topic: Internet teleporter doesn't remember my settings RESOLVED 2.43v  (Read 2623 times)

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Internet teleporter doesn't remember my settings RESOLVED 2.43v
« on: December 02, 2007, 06:15:55 AM »
I'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature. I know the timer may change to adopt to different sim speeds out there, but if I set it to upload/download every 500 cycles I don't want it to do it every 160 or so cycles. It keeps adding bots into my sim every minute which is a little too much IMO.

I don't think it's any point in posting a sim as the teleporter isn't saved in the sim anyway, but let me know if you think it may be needed to reproduce it.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 11:57:37 AM by EricL »
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 12:41:22 PM »
Quote from: Testlund
I'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature. I know the timer may change to adopt to different sim speeds out there, but if I set it to upload/download every 500 cycles I don't want it to do it every 160 or so cycles. It keeps adding bots into my sim every minute which is a little too much IMO.

I don't think it's any point in posting a sim as the teleporter isn't saved in the sim anyway, but let me know if you think it may be needed to reproduce it.
Don't need the sim.  This is pretty much by design.  My thought was that to keep it fair, you give up a certain amount of control over your own sim when you join internet mode.  For example, you can't have virus immune bots anymore.  Being in IM overrides this even if you have it set for a species.

With the teleporter, I didn't want people to be able to fix it in position or make it outbound only or smaller or slow down imports so as to game the populatin numbers by artificially protecting their sims from invasion.  Similarly, I didn't want people to be able to export huge number of their bots all at once in swarming attacks on other sims by making it huge or fixed, etc.

I compute the number of cycles between import/exports as a function of sim speed with the idea that most sims will end up uploading and downloading every few minutes.  Slower running sims wait a smaller number of cycles (but always at least 100) faster sims can wait 1000's of cycles.   I also put restrictions on the number of bots each upload/download (10 max inbound, 9 max outbound).

I'd be happy to disucss ways to tweak this algorthim, other restricitons on sims in IM, etc. but I'm kind of attached to the philosophy of soem degree of fairness w.r.t. inbound/outbound rates.  I'd like the day where there are prizes for stayign the top bot for a certain length of time and so on.  That will only matter if things stay fair.
Many beers....

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 06:49:14 AM »
Quote from: EricL
With the teleporter, I didn't want people to be able to fix it in position or make it outbound only or smaller...

You mean that you didn't want to but made it possible anyway? I always have it fixed in the middle with the largest size. Bots coming into the sim will get placed randomly in the sim so this doesn't matter if it's fixed or not, but only bots in the middle will get uploaded of course.

How about settings to check every 500 cycles if the sim runs at 1 cycle/s and check every 1000 cycles if the sim runs at 2 cycles/s and so on, nomatter what speed other sims are running. Then every sim has the same interval to download/upload sims through the running process, which seems fair to me.
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 11:51:31 AM »
You mean that you didn't want to but made it possible anyway? I always have it fixed in the middle with the largest size. Bots coming into the sim will get placed randomly in the sim so this doesn't matter if it's fixed or not, but only bots in the middle will get uploaded of course.
Yea.  That you can fix it is a bug.  I havn't spent a lot of time plugging the holes but I'll fix this one in 2.43v.

How about settings to check every 500 cycles if the sim runs at 1 cycle/s and check every 1000 cycles if the sim runs at 2 cycles/s and so on, nomatter what speed other sims are running. Then every sim has the same interval to download/upload sims through the running process, which seems fair to me.
This is exactly how it works today (except that its actually 100*cyc/sec).   Your sims poll interval is based only on your sim's exectuion speed.  Has nothing to do with (and no way to know) the speeds of other sims in IM.
Many beers....