Author Topic: .refslime, .trefslime  (Read 3084 times)

Offline Gobo

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
.refslime, .trefslime
« on: December 06, 2007, 05:12:07 AM »
There are gaps for these sysvars in the bot's memory AFAIK. Is it done intentionally? What's the reason then?

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
.refslime, .trefslime
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 09:20:51 AM »
What do you mean?

Offline Gobo

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
.refslime, .trefslime
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 10:53:01 AM »
I mean, there are for example .refshell and .trefshell, but there are no .refslime and .trefslime. I would like to have them to optimize my counter-defense.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
.refslime, .trefslime
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 11:01:23 AM »
Would be easy to add these and it's probably the right thing to do for 2.44.  But.... I really hate the refvars and trefvars.  It would be so nice to have a better paradym for geting info on other bots that didn't take lots of cycles and didn't take so memory memory locations.  Something like .memloc .memval on steroids...
Many beers....

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
.refslime, .trefslime
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 12:48:21 PM »
I'm pretty sure refslime existed at some point.

I think for vision, it's good to have the bottleneck which is memloc/memval.  However, once a bot commits to being a multibot, I think the bandwidth should increase dramatically.  The problem is that something like this is tricky with the order of operations in the main game loop.  You want to make sure that bots read back memory information from the beginning of the cycle, instead of reading back modified memory for bots higher than it in the robot array.