Author Topic: Virus / gene feedback requested  (Read 4431 times)

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Virus / gene feedback requested
« on: December 27, 2007, 08:13:07 PM »
I'm curious how people like the new definition of a gene in 2.43x.  It impacts .mkvirus and .thisgene, so probably breaks many viruses and virus spawning bots.

I'm also curious as to what people think of the new DNA tokinzation logic for bot DNA in the bot properties dialog.  I put some time in and made this a lot more useful.  Makes it easier to see what is coding and non-coding in evolved bots as well as debug bot code that is gene number sensitive.  As far as I know, it's pretty bug free and accurate, including the gene activations dialog.
Many beers....

Offline googlyeyesultra

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 09:38:33 PM »
I really like the new gene definitions: however, note that the "gene activations" monitor doesn't work anymore.

One question: do conditions inside of the start section charge just like conditions in the cond block do?

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 10:23:04 PM »
Quote from: googlyeyesultra
note that the "gene activations" monitor doesn't work anymore.
Really?  Seems to work for me.  What does it not do?  Can you open a bug and post a sim the demonstrates the problem?  Thanks.

Quote from: googlyeyesultra
One question: do conditions inside of the start section charge just like conditions in the cond block do?
If by charge, you mean do they incure the same costs, the answer is yes, absolutely.
Many beers....

Offline googlyeyesultra

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 10:30:16 PM »
Must have been a one time error (or me just misreading/hitting wrong button). I'm unable to reproduce it.

Offline Shasta

• Administrator
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 10:55:11 PM »
I like it in general, though it did brake my antivirus somehow and I cant figure out why   . I'll look into it more tonight. Something that I would like to see is where a virus was inserted into the DNA on the mutations report.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 10:55:43 PM by Shasta »

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 11:06:51 PM »
Quote from: Shasta
Something that I would like to see is where a virus was inserted into the DNA on the mutations report.
That's easy.  I'll add that for 2.43y.
Many beers....

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 12:09:05 AM »
A bit on the side from your original question:

I think the new system broke the "bug" that sent non-viral genes within viruses. I liked the old way, which allowed horizontal gene transfer. This either stopped happening or happens very rarely now.

I'd like to see some less efficient way for viruses to package themselves. .thisgene is too powerful.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline MacadamiaNuts

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 09:37:11 AM »
Nah, evosims will transfer genes randomly very often. The bug was only "meaningful" for mutationless hand made bots, yet a nuisance if you didn't really want that behaviour.
Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose...

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 11:34:49 PM »
Hmmm...
well, I suppose that you wouldn't have to use .thisgene if you've blasted all their genes first; although it would be turbulent within the first few cycles.
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan