Author Topic: Colors...  (Read 4345 times)

Offline rsucoop

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Colors...
« on: January 26, 2008, 06:25:52 PM »
Is there a way to read the value assigned for the color of the robot? This would make for racial idnetification and camo.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Colors...
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 08:05:18 PM »
There isn't presently.

The argument against it is that color is for the benefit of the Human watchers, and if bots could see and manipulate color, it wouldn't provide any extra benefit above the in/out sysvars.

Camo's been suggested and I think Eric is going to implement it soon.

Offline fulizer

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Colors...
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 09:31:56 AM »
also evolution smetimes changes the colour of the bot.
that causes great proplems if every time you improve you can no longer hide
"If this is coffee bring me tea, If this is tea, bring me coffee"

Offline rsucoop

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Colors...
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 08:35:31 AM »
It certainly helps identify first hand, where the mutations are happening. However, some sort of clear/transleucent color would be great for camo; a bot would theoretically see through the camo bot. Also, such an ability should cost a lot of energy, since its a very specialized use in nature (in fact mostly used at the highest form by reptiles and other sea-life). Plus, the ability to manipulate their own color, much like the in/out would give the user the only visual of an out/in system. These colors could become elaborate forms of mating rituals/defensive mechanisms/parental-child notifiers/ and many other abilities are imaginable.

Introducing something like bot controlled color would really be neat. A small mutation in the color genes could be good, or devastating, depending on the amount of energy required to perform a color shift. I also think that the color shifts should be linear, meaning a bot could only change based on a shift of 1 color (or maybe something as small as RGB code digit).

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Colors...
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 10:17:44 AM »
See this topic regarding .camo.  I will likly impliment this withion a month or so.
Many beers....

Offline rsucoop

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Colors...
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 06:04:50 PM »
Quote from: EricL
See this topic regarding .camo.  I will likly impliment this withion a month or so.

Sounds brilliant. The only other variable I would consider for visual effectiveness would by the distance, such as 1 div (x,y/some distance). As the object got closer, this distant value would be closer to 1.