Author Topic: Phagocytosis, endosymbiosis (including endoparasitism), eukaryotic cell  (Read 2741 times)

Offline Gobo

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
The origin of the eukaryotic cell was a milestone in the evolution of life, since they include all complex cells and almost all multi-cellular organisms.
I think it would be a real break-through in Darwinbots design if possibility of endosymbiotic bots were added. Eukaryotic cell became possible when prehistoric cells evolved phagocytosis. Those cells became eukaryotes when they stopped lyse phagocytosed organisms (protokaryotes noticeably cannot do phagocytosis). I suggest to implement phagocytosis in Darwinbots.
  • A bot can phagocytose another bot if it has greater size than the latter and has enough inside space (limited by already present phagocytosed bots).
  • I consider phagocytosis should work much like ties. Each phagocytosed bot gets its ordinal number and then may be addressed with it. Perhaps phagocytosed and tied bots could even share the same interface when addressed.
  • Phagocytosed bots can move only within its host's body.
  • Phagocytosed bots cannot be shot by their host or from outside, though they can be drained energy from using the same interface as ties (including sharing). Though while phagocytosed bots shoot, they may hit other bots phagocytosed by the same host or either their host (if a shot met no phagocytosed bots before the host's outer membrane).
  • When a host reproduces, its phagocytosed bots do as well, so a child gets the same endofauna (or endoflora) as its parent.
  • Endosymbionts may play role of chloroplasts, chromosomes etc. as well as endoparasites.
  • A bot design idea: bots can force a bot to phagocytose themselves with venom in order to become endoparasites.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 09:58:45 AM by Gobo »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Phagocytosis, endosymbiosis (including endoparasitism), eukaryotic cell
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 01:35:10 PM »
Did you search the suggestions forum at all?  I actually suggested this once upon a time, and I'm presently planning it as an integral part of DB3 (replacing body -6 shots) .  See this and this.  So either way, yeah, I agree

A couple of points where my plans differ slightly from what you're suggesting:

* A bot can phagocytose another bot if it has greater size than the latter and has enough inside space (limited by already present phagocytosed bots).

You can have any bot ingest another, you just need to make sure the bot that's doing the swallowing increases in size appropriately.

* I consider phagocytosis should work much like ties. Each phagocytosed bot gets its ordinal number and then may be addressed with it. Perhaps phagocytosed and tied bots could even share the same interface when addressed.

I agree with this in principal.  The two are very highly related.

* When a host reproduces, its phagocytosed bots do as well, so a child gets the same endofauna (or endoflora) as its parent.

I hadn't thought of this, but I like it.  Very reasonable.