Author Topic: New versions know where to put themselves  (Read 3395 times)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
New versions know where to put themselves
« on: November 28, 2007, 03:28:25 PM »
It would be nice if when I run Darwinbots version 2.43QuadrupleZ, it could scan the registry, know where Darwinbots is installed, and copy itself there.  I'm pretty sure that the 2.1 installation makes a registry key, so it shouldn't be too hard to tap in to that, right?

I just get tired of saving new versions to disk, finding where on the disk they are, copying them, finding the Darwinbots installation folder, and pasting in to it.  Especially when I potentially have 3 or 4 computers running sims (I don't right now, but I do have 3 extra computers, so the time will come when I'll have time to set them all up with Darwinbots).

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 04:40:01 PM »
You mean something like this.

It is an installer for DB2.43t

edit: I learned you first need to run something yourself, now has a shortcut.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 05:47:27 PM by Peter »
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 07:29:46 PM »
Not even that advanced.  It could just be the naked EXE, and it just copies itself to the Darwinbots directory.

Well, and your installer prompted me to install to the wrong directory.

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 10:28:18 AM »
Quote from: Numsgil
Not even that advanced.  It could just be the naked EXE, and it just copies itself to the Darwinbots directory.

Well, and your installer prompted me to install to the wrong directory.
Okay, it was too advanced already.  

But further.
  eh, it promted to the wrong directory .I didn't make the directory up or anything, it is looking in the registry for it. It worked  with my computer atleast  .
But it is promting to the wrong drectory, I thought it is eather perfectly good, or it didn't even give one. Where did he get the other directory from.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 10:51:22 AM »
Tried it again and it got the directory right, so I dunno, I must've used another computer instead of my laptop without realizing it .  What registry key(s) does Darwinbots make, btw?

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 11:11:06 AM »
Quote from: Numsgil
Tried it again and it got the directory right, so I dunno, I must've used another computer instead of my laptop without realizing it .  What registry key(s) does Darwinbots make, btw?
Well, I have found different registrys about darwinbots, most where junk or from the windows firewall or the comodo witch know DB hasn't had to be blocked.

But to the point, the registry key I used is located in the uninstall-folder of windows. You know control panel>remove add program. So the registry key is uses isn't of darwinbots.exe but of it is uninstaller,   but it works.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 11:12:25 AM by Peter »

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 12:03:27 PM »
Well, an autoinstaller hasn't been set in jet. Here some information how I do it, it is really simple, maybe with this info Eric can implent it. (hint)

Registry key.
root key=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
key=SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\DarwinBotsII_is1\
subkey=Inno Setup: App Path

Attachment: install.iit, it is made from the installer Carlo gave a link to. Link to the installer is on the last page too.LINK
This is called install.txt becouse the forum didn't allow me to upload a *.iit file.

Attachment: 2.43u_update.exe, installer made with it.(slightly better then the early one, I removed some stuff, just clicking next will do it, you won't have to accept anything)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 12:06:05 PM by Peter »