Author Topic: The New Wiki  (Read 18833 times)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
The New Wiki
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2005, 01:54:16 PM »
If a chemistry or biology topic has direct relevance, like evolution, or chemical reactions in general when we get an enzyme system in, by all means add some sub topics.  But generally things like sulfur have no relevance right now.  Stick to things like DNA commands and the GUI.

Those are what really get people lost.   :wacko:

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
The New Wiki
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2005, 02:35:45 PM »
I agree.  Besides, there is no need to explain what sulpher is for a hundredth time - there are plenty of web-sites that explain that.  Simply link to a good one should be enough.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
The New Wiki
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2005, 12:05:06 AM »
ok
When I have the eclipse cannon under my control there is nothing that can stop me from ruling the world. And I wont stop there. I will never stop conquering worlds through the universe. All the worlds in the universe will belong to me. All the species in on them will be my slaves. THE ENIRE UNIVERSE WILL BELONG TO ME AND EVERYTHING IN IT :evil: AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE OF you CAN DO TO STOP ME. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
The New Wiki
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2005, 02:57:38 AM »
Nice Pics and articles Zelos. Can they be posted up in the Gallery? I think it would be neat to have them all in one place. I've been going around and backlinking some of your articles to the main pages so don't be too surprised at seeing links to them appear.

Endy B)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
The New Wiki
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2005, 03:05:17 AM »
You rock Endy.

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
The New Wiki
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2005, 11:23:41 AM »
Whoever has the rights to do so - you should delete the "glycuse" and "photosythensis" articles and make new ones with correct spelling.  it should be

glucose
photosynthesis

Here is a tip: Next time you are making articles and not sure of spelling - simply do a search on google.  If you spelled it wrong, it will ask you "Did you mean...?"  and will give you the correct spelling.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
The New Wiki
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2005, 12:34:01 PM »
I've cleaned up the wiki some to help it conform to a higher standard.

This is very important:

Before you post a page, see if:

1.  There isn't a page for it already (there were two tie pages competing for one another.  One in concepts, the other in DNA commands.  The one in concepts had a nice intro that I incuded to the one in DNA commands, but there's no need for two seperate pages.

2.  You've spelled the title of the page correctly.  This is very important.  If you mispell the page, how is anyone ever going to find it?

3.  You've linked it to another page somewhere in the index.  There's no way to locate the page otherwise except by going to what's new, and that page only works if the page is new!

While you're posting the page, be sure that:

1.  Any words you decide to link link to pages that either are or will be.  For instance, if one person links to [ties] and another links to [tie], we'll end up with multiple instances of the same page.  Bad.

Older pages get seniority unless they're mispelled.

2.  You're using proper grammer.  Minor flaws are understandable, but there is such a thing as a spell checker!  And even grammer checkers depending on your word processor.

That's right, word processor.  Write your posts in a word processor first.

3.  You're information is correct.  We haven't really had a problem with this yet, but some statements have been misleading.  As we go into more advanced topics, check and recheck any information you post.

Those are the rules.  I don't have time to be copy editing all the posts.  Most have been pretty good, but some...

Remember, words are cheap.  Correctly written words in clear and concise wording are not.  Take the time to make your posts right and we'll all benefit.

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
The New Wiki
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2005, 01:07:09 PM »
Regarding the names...  Maybe we should just adopt the naming conventions from wikipedia.  They have a large list of rules, but most important to us are:
1) No plural forms, unless there is no single form (like in scissors)
2) No articles, like the and an, unless they are unseparatable part of the name
3) Instead of verbs and adjectives use nouns when possible
4) If verb has to be added, use -ing form

Don't remember any others, maybe they'll come to me later.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
The New Wiki
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2005, 01:46:51 PM »
Good idea.  I agree full heartedly.

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
The New Wiki
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2005, 04:14:01 PM »
Thanks, Nums. I used your bot Animal_Minimalis as the showcase bot for the basic bot building tutorial. I think you already saw it. I was thinking the best way to show bot techniques was to split them up based on the level of complexity/type.

Animal_Minimalis is a pretty good example of the new refvars and logical operators, so it should be useful for both new and older players. Umm...I'm not sure I understand what some of the genes are doing :unsure: thankfully that's what wiki's are for. :)

What's up with the wiki syntax page? It was blanked out last night and now in a foreign language. Weird :wacko:

Endy B)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 04:29:17 PM by Endy »

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
The New Wiki
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2005, 04:50:58 PM »
Figured out how to upload pics. I uploaded all of the home page's pics, so they are readily available to use in topics. Not sure what the other stuff in the gallery does.

Endy B)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
The New Wiki
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2005, 05:35:44 PM »
I'll go in some time and create a short tutorial for what's going with animal minimalis.

I'll also upload PY's tutorials, which are very good (if not a bit verbose  :ph43r: )

Of course, I also get to:
    *fix bugs in 2.36.  Some are pretty major
    *set up a web site for darwinbots
    *figure out how to set up internet organism sharing using an ftp I have
    *work on OpenGL programming (for fun, not related to DB.  Although...)
    *drop courses before the end of the day, and see how it screws with financial aid
    *write up some wiki pages
    *look for a summer job to pay for school that dropping courses screwed with
    *work on the enzymes system
    *figure out how to present Darwinbots as my final project in a computer science class
    *find some time to work on my psuedo random space game
    *take a shower (man am I stinky!)
    *remember to take my last antibiotic pill
    *help Zelos figure out the amount of sunlight flux a given parcel of ground gets[/li]
Whew.

There are so many projects I'm trying to do at once I may end up flopping and doing nothing.  :pokey:

Wish I had several copies of myself.  That would be super cool.

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
The New Wiki
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2005, 10:37:30 PM »
Alright, PY's Bot Tutorial is up. It needs a major overhaul though. :blink:  I'll try to work on it over the next few days but it'll take awhile.

Endy B)

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
The New Wiki
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2005, 01:39:59 AM »
Relax Nums, it could be a lot worse...  it could be boring :)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
The New Wiki
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2005, 04:08:21 AM »
Alright, PY's Bot Tutorial is up. It needs a major overhaul though. :blink:  I'll try to work on it over the next few days but it'll take awhile.

Endy B)
Perhaps you should split up his tutorial into multiple links.  That would make it much easier to isolate problems.

I've gone through and fixed all the asterisk problems.  Still a few formatting problems though...