Author Topic: Hash hacking shot  (Read 2480 times)

Offline MacadamiaNuts

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Hash hacking shot
« on: November 30, 2007, 01:11:34 PM »
A non intrusive addon for current DB 2 which maybe would make happy metabolism people.

This would use the organism's hash -that riddled string stored at the end of saved bots-. You know, digesting something more often than less is about finding the right wrench to disassemble their stuff, which actually reflects the DNA structure in an (un)hashed fashion.

So, we could assign a few of the first hash characters to some traits. Like, the first letter to energy, the second to body, the third to shell, and so on.

Then, we'd have the hash hacking shot or... well, the enzymatic shot. This one uses .shootval as the byte code that must match the hash letter. If it's succesfull, eureka! you get something like a 50 .shootval powered shot with the cost of 1. If not, you get nothing. Of course it's gonna be cool for the bot if the rival species never change, once it figured the right enzyme to digest them. But, it isn't going to be so cool if they have lots of mutants, which will live happily and turn back to dominate. Or if actually it's living among many species.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 01:16:16 PM by MacadamiaNuts »
Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose...

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Hash hacking shot
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 02:25:47 PM »
I see where your going with this, but I think I'd prefer to see it doen with a richer virus paradym with sequence matching capability as the way to address the "figure out the magic bullet" scenerio.

First off, the current hash isn't a run time artifact.  It's only calculated at bot DNA save time.

Second, it is highly sensitive to any DNA change.  A single point muation in a non-coding region will break the hash.  Yes, we could maybe change this, but then it would no longer be the unique "signature" it was intended to be.  We'd be essentially building a new thing.

I suggest an improved virus shot paradym as an an alternative because it would operate on specific, potentially quite short DNA sequences and not be sensitive to the hash of the entire genome.  Figuring out the one little virus to shoot that matched the right target sequence and and did the right thing to allow for low cost prediation would serve the role of the magic bullet I think you are looking for.
Many beers....