Author Topic: A limit for heterotroph bots, and normal veggie repro  (Read 6168 times)

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
A limit for heterotroph bots, and normal veggie repro
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2007, 09:12:34 PM »
Quote from: Numsgil
Au contraire.   I have many warm, happy, fuzzy memories of moving labels from free floating to control arrays to free up room for new controls.  Ah, the hours wasted...  Anyway, you can find some informal proof in these discussions, where it's mentioned as the way around the limit.  Not that I'm saying we need more controls!
Perhaps I'm hitting a different limit then but I have tried combining controls into arrays on the options dialog and no joy.  I'll try again next time it becomes necessary and see what there is to see.

Quote from: Numsgil
I guess I think like a developer.  I don't use many Apple products, but almost every program I use daily is Microsoft.  And I understand how the products I use work, and can tell you what almost every option or field does.
You and I and people like us who understand how software works are a small minority in the total universe of users.  Most people use about 10% of the features of an app like Word, don't know how it works, don't have an intuitive feel for how software works in general (or their intuition differs greatly from ours) and are actually happier with the app doing more for them and offerring them fewer options and choices in many (but certainly not all) cases.   Problem is, its not the same 10% for every user.   Not saying simplicity and limited control should be the rule necessarily for a specialized app like DB or the rather sophisticated audience we have here, but it's critical for apps with wide demographic usage.

BTW, if you havn't played with an IPhone yet, give it a try.  It's quite an experience to watch a novice pick it up.  My 72 year old mother can't even use an ATM machine.  But she loves her IPhone and will show you photos of her grandkids until you just want to throttle her.
Many beers....

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2007, 02:35:44 PM »
Quote from: EricL
You and I and people like us who understand how software works are a small minority in the total universe of users.  Most people use about 10% of the features of an app like Word, don't know how it works, don't have an intuitive feel for how software works in general (or their intuition differs greatly from ours) and are actually happier with the app doing more for them and offerring them fewer options and choices in many (but certainly not all) cases.   Problem is, its not the same 10% for every user.   Not saying simplicity and limited control should be the rule necessarily for a specialized app like DB or the rather sophisticated audience we have here, but it's critical for apps with wide demographic usage.
Speaking as one who doesn't understand the software completely   . And now I feel insulted.  

You want to say you know all of the features of word.  Okay, well I don't. My main problem is, well and the problem of most people, I think. I want to use a feature, something like making a picture, creating a table, creating a diagram, seting page numbers, changing outlines. There is too much.
Where to find it, there are many options, very much. But sometimes you want to use a specific feature, but where is it. I don't know how to do it else if I where microsoft as different people need different stuff, but it seems pretty complicated to find something you need.

Example:go to tools->options
And you have another seeing at the enormous amount of options, I say aaaahgahah.
I am using office 2003 not sure if it fits too at office 2007.
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2007, 04:19:26 PM »
FYI, 2.43u modifies the restriction on veggy reproduction so that all veggies are allowed to reproduce when the veggy population is below 90% of the limit.

Additionally, 2.43u allows for the cost multipler to go negative.
Many beers....