Author Topic: Old species again over new RESOLVED 2.43u  (Read 3233 times)

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Old species again over new RESOLVED 2.43u
« on: November 26, 2007, 01:58:51 PM »
If I load a settings file you see the older species keeping in the bot list.
attached sim-file and settings-file I load, after loading I still see the old bots.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 01:07:27 PM by EricL »
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 02:10:50 PM »
I'm pretty sure I fixed it in the load sim path.  But I did not touch the load settings path.

I would like to do away with settings files completly and instead implement a "Load Settings From Sim File" option.   Stay tuned for a suggestion to this effect.
Many beers....

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 08:59:03 PM »
I get this too. If I load my first instance with tiebots and then my second instance with chainbots, one of my chainbot species will get the name from one of my tiebot species, both in the species tab and in the sim. Instead of Chainbot243tC it is called Tiebot243tC.
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 09:01:47 PM »
I'm tellign you, settings files are a rats nest of problems....  I havn't looked at that code in over a year.
Many beers....

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 05:20:50 AM »
I can't wait to see how your new 'load settings from sim files' feature is going to turn out, because I got pissed off the other night when I ran my sim and found out my Chainbot243tC had been completely replaced by Tiebot243tC, with the chainbot's green color, and turned autotroph too!  

In the mean time I'm testing a work around by backing up a 'lastexit.sim' file for each of my instances. Maybe when that file gets overwritten it doesn't get COMPLETELY overwritten, so data from more than one sim ends up in it. Just my theory though.
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 11:46:50 AM »
Quote from: Testlund
In the mean time I'm testing a work around by backing up a 'lastexit.sim' file for each of my instances. Maybe when that file gets overwritten it doesn't get COMPLETELY overwritten, so data from more than one sim ends up in it. Just my theory though.
You'd be better off using the autosave feature.  Lastexit.sim is just a sim file, the same as any other.  It is the sim when you exit.
Many beers....

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 01:06:48 PM »
Quote from: Testlund
I can't wait to see how your new 'load settings from sim files' feature is going to turn out, because I got pissed off the other night when I ran my sim and found out my Chainbot243tC had been completely replaced by Tiebot243tC, with the chainbot's green color, and turned autotroph too!  
Okay, so, the new load settings from sim option probably won't be in 2.43u.  

But, I did find and fix the issue with traditional settings files.  They should work fine now in 2.43u.  I'll take a look at update them for any newer important settings that havn't been added as well.  Won't take long.

Note that the bug is with the loading of species, not with the file itself so if you have older files, they will work as they did before in 2.43u.  Unfortunatly, settings files saved with 2.43t will contain the messed up species list.
Many beers....