Author Topic: Problem downloading population files. RESOLVED 2.43u  (Read 2168 times)

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Problem downloading population files. RESOLVED 2.43u
« on: November 23, 2007, 11:10:39 AM »
It's been like that for about 17 hours now while my sim has been running. I was thinking it should change sometime. Don't know what's wrong out there. The log has been showing between 5 and 8 sims running. The numbers in the population logs never change, for instance there have been 4 Lionfish bots out there the whole day. That's impossible, unless someone has paused that sim. The only species I've got all this time is the Nasty Plant, except for an unnamed file from an unkown sorce a few times. I've tried to clear F1 folders, restarting. Doesn't matter. And everytime it tries to download/upload something the program freezes for almost 4 minutes.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 01:11:56 PM by EricL »
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Problem downloading population files. RESOLVED 2.43u
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 01:17:22 PM »
I've made some significant changes to how the inernet mode plumbing works in 2.43u which seems to better handle connection problems.  In particular, I unload the Inet control when my external 30 second timer based timeout occurs waiting for a response from the server.  The control was getting into a funky state where it's internal timeout timer would sometimes not work and it would wait for a server response forever.  It's brute force, but I think this should improve the situation considerably.

Note that there will still be times when the simulator has problems downloading or uploading due to server outages or file conflicts (which can happen when two simualtors try to access the same file at the same time) and you will see this reported in the log but now the program should not hang (for longer than 30 seconds) and it should reconnect at the next server sync period.
Many beers....