Author Topic: My evobots are ripe for internet mode!  (Read 3837 times)

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
My evobots are ripe for internet mode!
« on: November 16, 2007, 07:09:59 AM »
I was testing my evobots against the default bots a couple of nights ago, and the default bots were no match for them. The default bots are not designed for a costly environment, while my evobots have adapted to increased costs for more than half a year now, so I was thinking it would be a good idea to test them in internet mode and see what happens. If somebody out there gets a bot named 'Chainbot' (autotroph) or 'Tiebot' (heterotroph) you know they are from me. I think only a well evolved hunter can take my bots down, once they get a chance to multiply in your sim.

By the way, can I have two instances of sims with an internet teleporter in each without conflicts, or will it confuse the program? I'm gonna give it a try.

By the way, will they have the same colors as in my sim? Chainbot green and Tiebot red.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 07:12:30 AM by Testlund »
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 08:39:20 AM »
Ok, I would like to see already evolved bots conquering the sims. Until now all bots that controlled IM where handmade.
How good have they evolved are they even able to beat out the orginal bots. Or only in a very costly enviroment.
Okay going to look now, how will they do.  

They have probably desame colors.

PS: Thanks for the link to the comodo firewall, it is a nice one.
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 08:51:24 AM »
Ok, it appears to be some connection problems. Also the program freezes down quite a lot and there seem to be a little conflict with two internet teleporters. Also the teleporters don't send any bots to the internet, just cause them to jump to another location on the screen. Haven't seen any bots coming in either.

I'm also having a problem with the bots refusing to reproduce for some strange reason. Has never happend before. Can't even force them to duplicate by pressing reproduce in the bot dialog. Typical, just because I wanted to use internet mode.  
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 08:52:37 AM by Testlund »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 09:21:26 AM »
Heh, you just seem to have a great knack for finding bugs, Testlund.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 09:34:00 AM »
It's because of my f****** bad luck! There's more... Heading over to the bugs section.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 11:59:01 AM »
Quote from: Testlund
By the way, can I have two instances of sims with an internet teleporter in each without conflicts, or will it confuse the program? I'm gonna give it a try.
I've never tested it.  There are likely problems since they will both try to use the same local files for moving bots around and updating the internet populations.   Could get file locking propblems that cause hangs or errors.

What you can do for sure is run multiple isntances that are connected by regular teleporters and have only one of those in internet mode.

Quote from: Testlund
By the way, will they have the same colors as in my sim? Chainbot green and Tiebot red.

They should have the same color in every connected sim.  This works.  I've tested it, though I think there is still a bug with restart or when population drop to 0 in a specific sim for awhile as sometimes a bot color will revert to black.  Need to track that one down someday...
Many beers....

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 11:59:09 AM »
You might want to consider a career in bug testing.  People who can consistantly break a program are quite rare and valuable.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 02:55:17 AM »
It reminds me when I managed to break the functions of my MC-303 Groovebox (synth and sequencer). Suddenly all sounds, rythm and tempo got randomized for no reason. I sent it for repair but they couldn't fix it. The retailer said he never heard about such a problem and said I must be playing the shit out of the machine. Had to give up and get a refund. That was pretty much the end of my hopes for a music career. Anyway....

Anyone feeling like running version 2.43p today with internet mode? I'm testing it right now and it seems to connect.