Author Topic: Overflow error RESOLVED 2.43t  (Read 4127 times)

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Overflow error RESOLVED 2.43t
« on: November 20, 2007, 04:23:23 AM »
I keep getting this after a few hours of running the sim. This is the last autosave before I got the error. Loading the error.sim files don't reproduce it, but maybe this autosave will after an hour or two.

Also you might want to check out a certain bot slightly to the lower right of the middle which might show potential for a new breakthrough. I got two shooters last night and this one this morning. I don't know why they start to appear now all of a sudden. It's the dna you edited which I started a new sim with.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 09:47:20 PM by EricL »
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 01:05:48 PM »
I am no coding expert, but posting a sim where possibly can occur an error in a few hours. Could be hard to reproduce, especialy if you want to reproduce it in basic.

That line of thinking brought me to this question.

Should I post sims where there possibly can occur an error after a while, I did't post any sims like that just becouse of the possible hard/inpossible to repro state.
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 02:27:36 PM »
If a sim is definately going to produce a bug after an hour or two, it's worth posting.  Otherwise it depends on how into it the developer is for bug searching.  Eric can always load a sim in VB and let it run overnight, or over the weekend, or over the month
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 02:28:11 PM by Numsgil »

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 02:48:23 PM »
Quote from: Numsgil
Eric can always load a sim in VB and let it run overnight, or over the weekend, or over the month
Which is what I'm doing now with the sim above.  I heat my home with CPU waste heat don't you know...
Many beers....

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 02:49:03 PM »
I decided to post it as it started to appear frequently. It shouldn't be too hard to reproduce. If it just appear every once in awhile I don't bother.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 02:51:17 PM by Testlund »

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 02:26:02 PM »
I ran this overnight without a crash.  I'll run it over the long US holiday weekend (Thanksgiving).  This time, I'll wire up the teleporters.  That is one thing I havn't duplicated.  I suspect that maybe one reason I can't reproduce it has to do with teleporters and the multi-sim topology your running.  Can you tell me a few words about the number of sims you run and how they are connected and post the other sims?  Thanks.
Many beers....

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 06:00:05 PM »
It could very well be related to IM, I just couldn't remember if the crashes started to appear before I switched on IM, but I know I got constant crashes in IM every 1-3 hours interval, same overflow error. I'm going to start a new sim, same evobots and run it over night, no IM first to see how it goes. Going to try some different approaches, 1 instance, then 2 instances to see if I can get an idea about the cause.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 09:46:41 PM »
I caught this over the weekend by running Testlund's sim under the IDE.  Took several days.

One of Testlund's evolved bots has become a multibot and is attempting to set a tie to a length of 31991.  An unprotected temporary integer varible overflows when I add this value to the radii of the two bots the tie is connecting.

Testlund, this a very very nice bug.  Well done.  You have to be a big bot, tied to another big bot, setting the tie length to something just shy of the 32000 limit for this to happen.  It's no wonder it's nondeterministic.   Probably only possible now that we allow bots with larger radius ranges than we did previously.   Hard to find, but easy to fix.

Fixed in 2.43t.
Many beers....

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 01:25:19 AM »
Ok, how weird! The poor fella was struggling to become a multibot and the program wouldn't let him.   I'm gonna check it out right away, if I can just figure out where he might be hiding. Strange though in which way this is occuring. When I was running in internet mode with two instances (two different sims and species) I got this frequently crash, but when running with just one instance it was running much longer. Glad you found it.  

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 02:10:05 AM »
Guess what? It only took about half an hour for me to get the overflow error!  Maybe this bot thrives a little better on my computer  

I'm thinking that once you post 2.43t I should be able to load this error.sim file and the bot can then become the multibot it wants.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 02:11:02 AM by Testlund »