Author Topic: My sims are broken OPEN  (Read 4597 times)

Offline Welwordion

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
My sims are broken OPEN
« on: November 19, 2007, 09:43:52 AM »
Well I can not run a stable  evosim my darwinbot just crashes or if I try to load a saved sim there is a high chnace it will not work, this has always been the case(in every version I played) although it did not disturb me when I only testrunned preprogrammed bots but with evosims it annoying.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 12:21:31 PM by EricL »

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
My sims are broken OPEN
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 10:36:33 AM »
If your going to post in this forum, please post something actionable.  Attach a sim, give an error code.  Something.

If you just want to vent, take it someplace else.
Many beers....

Offline Welwordion

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
My sims are broken OPEN
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 11:16:26 AM »
Calm down Ericl of course I know that in order to do something you need data, however as the problem seems so intangible to me (the reason I did not post it before) I wanted to wait for your proposals what data to provide.

In that spirit I also have attached a savefile probable damaged as the sim crashed when I saved  it I could not reload. Maybe I will find another sim to attach , however these will be from older versions.
As for errorcode usually it just goes white  after the program has run a decent amount of time and I have to end the programm externally.
I will try to find some errorcode in the seldom cases its otherwise, although I am not sure where to look.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 11:22:50 AM by Welwordion »

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
My sims are broken OPEN
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 11:25:50 AM »
You have never seen me un-calm.  But profanity in the morning makes me cranky.

Tell me:

What version of DB you are running.
What happens.  Is it a crash?  (You should get a popup with a error message or error code at minimum) or is it a hang? (program stops responding, window won't refresh, etc.).
When does it happen?  I.e. how long were you running before it happened, can you make it happen by doing something, etc.
Posting the sim helps me with settings, bots, etc.

From what you have said, it sounds like a tight loop hang.  These can be hard to reproduce.  One thing you can do is use the autosave feature to save your sim every 5 minutes or something.  Then when it happens, re-load the last save and see if it happens sooner.  If it does, post that sim and I will be able to reproduce and fix it.
Many beers....

Offline Welwordion

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
My sims are broken OPEN
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 11:59:43 AM »
1)currently I use version 2.43s.
2) Its a  hang type of bug
3) I can sometimes cause it by saving ,that maybe the reason why often savefiles are not working
could be even triggered by autosave?
4) well depends on the number of bots in the simulation I think the more extensive the simulation the faster it will collapse.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 12:01:28 PM by Welwordion »

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
My sims are broken OPEN
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 12:19:00 PM »
Is this an old sim like from a year ago that you loaded in recent versions or a new one that you began fresh in recent versions?  I matters because bugs have been fixed in sim file format parsing logic over the past year and if the sim had it's geneisis in a very old version, it's possible soem portion of the the bug lies in reading in that old file format.  Program still shouldn't hang, but it may be hanging because some varible has an impossible value due to a problem reading in ancient sim files.
Many beers....

Offline Welwordion

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
My sims are broken OPEN
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 06:39:53 AM »
No its a new sim from 2.43s currently after running darwinbot from the uni (usuallly I use my pc at home) and after one time using a fast and now a slow Pc I think it might be just that the workload becomes to much to stomach as the fast pc had no problem.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
My sims are broken OPEN
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 12:20:12 PM »
Could still be a timing sensitive hang which the slow machine is calling attention to.  If it hangs forever on the slow machine, that is a bug unless there is some other obvious reaons like being out of virtual memory or similar.

Should I keep this bug open?  I can't do much unless you can reproduce this....
Many beers....

Offline Welwordion

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
My sims are broken OPEN
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 12:31:33 PM »
^^ well its happens all the time when I run a large simulation the problem is just I can not provide you any information trough that.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
My sims are broken OPEN
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 01:03:15 PM »
Your sure it hangs forever or is it just really slow?.  Are the seconds still ticking at the boittom of the simulator or is it frozen?
Many beers....

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
My sims are broken OPEN
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 02:31:51 PM »
It could just be I have reproduced this error.

In a sim where have come a lot of bots room-size 5. It was a sim with bots I didn't even want it to rut it run becouse somehow different bots have come through,  but awel for atleast a little time. (maybe 15 minutes) the sim has run and cousing the error. At the time of the error I could see a lot of bots.

It has hang and doesn't do anything at all, before it hangs there was an error, sorry I don't know what it was.

It didn't saved an error-sim it completely hanged. nd after 5 minutes I decided to close it with the way windows has made famous.(alt-ctrl-delete)

I have atteched the last exit sim-file. I am pretty sure here out came the bug. And have atteched the bot blinder. Which is the bot I didn't want in the sim, the other bots are all bots with just differnt amounts of zeros, just zerobots.

I am not sure if you can do anything with it, but here you have got your sim-file.
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline Welwordion

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
My sims are broken OPEN
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 02:54:38 PM »
Well I also managed to get a sim file that actually repeated the error after running it a second time
(although it takes some minutes)

Well now I have a siim that halt at loading ^^
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 03:37:09 PM by Welwordion »

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
My sims are broken OPEN
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007, 12:04:47 PM »
Still working on this.  I was able to reproduce under the IDE, but that hangs VB as well.  Stupid single threaded IDE...

I was able to reproduce it running standalone and attach a debugger, but was unable to load symbols for the version I was using.  From the disassembly, it looked like the hang I a relatively tight loop down in the internet connection code down in NTDLL, which is strange as I was not running internet mode.   Perhaps the bug is that I am inadvertedly doing so.

Will continue to work this.
Many beers....

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
My sims are broken OPEN
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2008, 04:14:11 PM »
bump to bring open bug to first page
Many beers....