Author Topic: Astronomy in DB  (Read 13469 times)

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Astronomy in DB
« on: March 24, 2005, 04:15:02 PM »
Many astronomical things have effected the life on our planet. Like the sun it self, The distance from it. The tilt of our planet's axis. and some more. Numsgil and I have chatted some and come whit a few things. How some minor astronomical things effect could be added to DB and effect it. Here I shall explain them and what they do.

Spectral type
this one effect the planet in a way this one decieds what kind of lights come to the planet. A star of 1 type may give alot of light whit short wavelenght, then its good to adapt to have photosythensis that can take that light.

Lumosity
our sun generates a specail amount of light and send it out to our planet. If you increase it we get more energy. The plants gets happier, they got more to work whit. and we get it hoter. Could mean alot to plants in DB

Distance
the distance from the star effects alot to. the further away you are, the less light and energy the planet get. if we have a planet that is close it get alot of light, and might evolve photosythensis pretty fast coz it gives such a advantage. while a distant planet might search for other energy sources.

Tilt
the tilt of a planets axis effect becuase if the planet tilt like earth we get seasons. that force the plants and animals to adapt to survive under different condition coz they changes whit time. while if there is no tilt, its just like now, adaption to 1 condition all the time.

Year Lenght
This effects only if the planets axis tilt any. When its tilted this part decied how long each condition will last. Like summer on the north hemisphere last for 50 days and so on. if the changes are fast, they need to adapt to the new enviment fast, if its slow, there is no hurry.

Medium albedo
this one effect the planet by absorbing some of the total energy the planet gets. the more this aborbs, the less energy the plants can use, and the hotter the planet becomes. and if its vice versal the plants get more to work whit, but the planet becomes cooler.

Scale
if you want to run a simulation of 1 planet, or just a part of one.

this is the ones we have come whit now. what do you think?
persinal I think this would be very fun to have later
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 03:36:51 AM by Shasta »
When I have the eclipse cannon under my control there is nothing that can stop me from ruling the world. And I wont stop there. I will never stop conquering worlds through the universe. All the worlds in the universe will belong to me. All the species in on them will be my slaves. THE ENIRE UNIVERSE WILL BELONG TO ME AND EVERYTHING IN IT :evil: AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE OF you CAN DO TO STOP ME. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline Old Henk

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Astronomy in DB
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 11:36:15 AM »
I really like this!
Maybe a separate 'planet' mode (like the Pond-mode) could be added...  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 11:36:29 AM by Henk »

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Astronomy in DB
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 11:58:22 AM »
I really hate this!
Maybe no one has access to super computers to start simulating whole planets , even starts , forget about the fact that right now we simulate patches of microscopic feild, and its still to slow.. AAAAAAA! , woho Num speed things up a little for 3.0...

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Astronomy in DB
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 12:00:54 PM »
But I did hear that we can get windowsXpServer to run on a Super computer, that will be a lot of fun, we will be getting run time errors 20-30 times faster , maybe as soon as we click the run button, :P

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Astronomy in DB
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 12:07:21 PM »
Tides...
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Astronomy in DB
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 12:25:47 PM »
Tides...
I agree totally.   :rolleyes:

Mind being less cryptic?

Bots, we're not talking about simulating actual planets and stuff.  Just the effect of different things on the simulation.  And of course, it would be an option.  How can anyone argue against an option unless you're saying it's taking focus away from other things.

And we don't have to simulate stars and planets to get seasons and light flux.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Astronomy in DB
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 12:33:06 PM »
o ok

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Astronomy in DB
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 01:06:09 PM »
like num said, this is just to simulate stuffs, we dont add a solersystem that takes up space so it slows down the simu. this would simply be options to make things funnier. gives more options. it wouldnt take to much space, right numsgil or am I wrong?

when it comes to tides, that can be simulated by a moon, oh dear moon. did you know that the moon help us to have a stabel axis? and that it helped life up to land
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 01:07:44 PM by zelos »
When I have the eclipse cannon under my control there is nothing that can stop me from ruling the world. And I wont stop there. I will never stop conquering worlds through the universe. All the worlds in the universe will belong to me. All the species in on them will be my slaves. THE ENIRE UNIVERSE WILL BELONG TO ME AND EVERYTHING IN IT :evil: AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE OF you CAN DO TO STOP ME. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Astronomy in DB
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 01:18:59 PM »
If you like the moon so much, you should remember this

:laugh:
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Astronomy in DB
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 01:21:50 PM »
like num said, this is just to simulate stuffs, we dont add a solersystem that takes up space so it slows down the simu. this would simply be options to make things funnier. gives more options. it wouldnt take to much space, right numsgil or am I wrong?

You are right. This would just be different options for day/night, intensity and type of sunlight and so on.

Tides? We don't need no stinking tides!

Seriously though how would tides work in DB? Varying flow patterns?
and those who don't

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Astronomy in DB
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2005, 01:23:05 PM »
I honestly dont like it or hate it. but it will soon be gone, whit my ECLIPSE CANNON  :evil:
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 01:25:05 PM by zelos »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Astronomy in DB
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2005, 01:24:59 PM »
A moon wouldn't be too hard.

You'd just have to specify a distance and mass ratio, I think.

Then it would effect currents.  If I ever get around to currents that is.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 01:25:21 PM by Numsgil »

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Astronomy in DB
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2005, 01:26:20 PM »
What actual effect would it have on our bots though? Turn them into Were-wolfs?
and those who don't

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Astronomy in DB
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2005, 01:27:17 PM »
Cool  B)

Fuzzy robots  :laugh:
and those who don't

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Astronomy in DB
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2005, 01:31:19 PM »
I was thinking that one day the env grid would have vectors associated with it.  So bots are pushed along by currents.

Tides then would be a kind of continual current.  Or maybe not.  I don't know.