Poll

Please take a minute or two to fill out this poll and maybe add a note to the thread. How did you discover DarwinBots?

A friend or relative's recommendation
9 (6.4%)
Home of the Underdogs web site
24 (17%)
Another shareware/abandonware web site
2 (1.4%)
Googling for Artificial Life sims
61 (43.3%)
Purely by accident
16 (11.3%)
A DarwinBots member's webpage link
1 (0.7%)
Wikipedia's Darwinbots entry
12 (8.5%)
Other
16 (11.3%)

Total Members Voted: 125

Author Topic: How did you find DarwinBots?  (Read 44453 times)

Offline jknilinux

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
How did you find DarwinBots?
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2008, 02:47:23 PM »
Quote from: Cyberduke
I was reminiscing about a game I used to have an the Atari ST where you could build robots by wiring up sensors to actuators and memory locations using a GUI and then they would battle each other in an arena, find their way out of mazes etc I think they also needed to eat ‘food’ and on the map they looked like a mini version your wiring configuration.
Then I was thinking about c-robots and terrarium, and did a search for a C# version of c-robots and came across darwinbots in a google search somewhere along the line, which then made me think about a few other Atari ST and DOS evolution sims I had seen along similar lines to sim life.
Anyway I loved the idea of combining the two, so after writeing a few basic bots, I got into doing the zerobot sims.

Oh- you mean like braitenburg vehicles?

Offline Jewel

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2009, 10:20:02 AM »
I was going through random Wikipedia articles

Offline Moonfisher

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2009, 11:34:54 AM »
Heh I found DB on some list of programming games. Had played around with GunTactyx (Not sure I'm spelling it right) for an internship at a game company which had made a contest out of their open positions
Found it fun (Got the internship too) and wanted to see what else was out there. Found DB to be way more interesting because of the way DNA and the weaponry works (Anyone else I know thought the exact oposite due to the lack of 3D graphics and such, but they're all idiots anyway).
The list I found was poorly updated and half the links on it didn't work. And I'm not sure I would ever have found DB without that listing...
I think maybe we should try to get DB to pop up on more google searches. Maybe some nudy pics would help...

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2009, 02:04:58 PM »
I'm going to try and blitz some ads once DB3 is mostly done.  Maybe enter it in some indie game festival type contests as well.

Advertising right now would be counter productive, since DB2 is a little buggy still.

Offline jon

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2009, 09:31:53 PM »
HELLO!!!!

Just registered, and wanted to say hi! Sorry for spamming... Keep up the good work!

ps how do you like my username? pretty sweet huh?

Offline jknilinux

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2009, 09:34:46 PM »
Welcome! and uh, yah, it's cool.. I kinda wish mine was more inventive...

Offline PurpleKiwi

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2009, 01:08:49 AM »
I regularly go on Wikipedia to read Biology articles (and sometimes Chemistry, Physics, and any type of science). I've been trying to program a program that would simulate a single-celled organism, so that's how I found the article on DarwinBots. I have a lot of experience with programming so I hope I will be able to learn the language quickly.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2009, 01:55:51 AM »
If you have a programming background it shouldn't be too hard to pick up.  It's basically a simple stack based assembly language.

Also feel free to go to the suggestions forum and start a thread about any aspect of the unicellular world we aren't simulating that you think we could.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 01:57:13 AM by Numsgil »

Offline melthengylf

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2010, 12:38:26 PM »
I really love wikipedia. I'm really not good at programming, but if I like this, I'll make an effort
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 12:39:31 PM by melthengylf »

Offline Beanspoon

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Re: How did you find DarwinBots?
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2011, 12:15:52 PM »
Hi there!  I believe this may be my first post though I've been messing around with Darwinbots for a fair amount of time.  I've always been interested in simulations of all kinds, and especially evolutionary simulators.  I came across Darwinbots completely by accident while searching for evolutionary simulators online.  I haven't had much of a chance up until now to run sims as I haven't had a dedicated computer to run it on (I feel my Alienware is sort of overkill for the task).  Now however I am set up on a computational research project with my own dedicated computers that I can run sims whenever I like (outside research time obv ;) ).  Anyway, looking forward to swapping stories and code with you all!

Offline SlyStalker

• Bot Destroyer
  • nomnomnomnom
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2013, 03:35:06 AM »
Google is your friend, kids.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2013, 11:27:35 PM »
What were you googling for?

Offline SlyStalker

• Bot Destroyer
  • nomnomnomnom
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2013, 01:15:12 AM »
yep, i got hooked on alife because of spore  :)
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2013, 01:20:40 AM »
I was really excited for it when it was in production, but the actual game wasn't as good as I wanted it to be.  But I might be a jaded old man :P

Offline SlyStalker

• Bot Destroyer
  • nomnomnomnom
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2013, 02:23:18 AM »
well, we cant all have something as realistic as DB  :D