Poll

Please take a minute or two to fill out this poll and maybe add a note to the thread. How did you discover DarwinBots?

A friend or relative's recommendation
9 (6.4%)
Home of the Underdogs web site
24 (17%)
Another shareware/abandonware web site
2 (1.4%)
Googling for Artificial Life sims
61 (43.3%)
Purely by accident
16 (11.3%)
A DarwinBots member's webpage link
1 (0.7%)
Wikipedia's Darwinbots entry
12 (8.5%)
Other
16 (11.3%)

Total Members Voted: 125

Author Topic: How did you find DarwinBots?  (Read 43830 times)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
How did you find DarwinBots?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2006, 08:08:20 PM »
Where is this spore forum?

Offline spiceant

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile

Offline EricL Newbie

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2006, 02:08:18 AM »
I actually tried to shoe horn some ALife stuff into Microsoft's .NET Terrarium, but they stopped supportting it and never released the source code, so I went looking for other ALife programs.  Found Tierra, then Avida, even played with Tom Ray's new 3D sim stuff that looks a lot like Karl Sim's work from when he was at Connection Machines.  Finially found DB off Google.

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2006, 09:34:04 AM »
I voted for home of the underdogs but it might have been another shareware site. I was certainly searching for sims at the time. DB has stood head and shoulders above all the other AI sims I have tried.  
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have in your hands is a non-working cat.
Douglas Adams

Offline JBOSS2000

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2006, 04:54:31 AM »
I found DB in Home of the Underdogs, but my love of genetics is what made me download it.
Justin C.B.
God is the programmer, and DNA is his language.

Offline MacadamiaNuts

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2007, 05:37:26 PM »
Googling for alife.
Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose...

Offline -venom-

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2007, 06:27:42 PM »
googling for robotics
If this were a perfect world, nobody would have let me into it.

Offline viplex

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2007, 11:40:28 AM »
Quote from: Testlund
I used google and I sometimes spend hours trying to find the ultimate artificial life program. I've tried a lot of stuff. I found DarwinBots to be most interesting right now, dispite all the bugs. Hehe. I was surprised to find this forum and that you are still working on the Darwin sim stuff. Allmost thought it was a dead project.  

I was searching a lot, too. There were a lot of artifical evo and alife link collections, but it seems they havent updated them for a lon g time now. Maybe this area is out of fashion.  
I found most of the alife progs having all their advantages and disadvantages. They just simulate different aspects and mechanisms. Darwinbots, framsticks and darwinpond for example, are very entertaining and picturesque, but they are slow, tierra and avida are quick and show inventive evolution, but very incomprehensibly.
After all I'm glad that darwinbots is now so stabile and getting more and more versatile. Thanks for it!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 11:41:36 AM by viplex »

Offline LazyBot

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2007, 02:18:28 AM »
I found it on wikipedia while searching A-life.

Offline Martian

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2007, 08:31:16 AM »
Googling for a good artificial life sim.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 08:35:39 AM by Martian »

Offline Havvy

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2007, 04:43:40 PM »
There's a link on wikipedia to the DarwinBots page on 'Open Source Games'.

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2007, 04:57:45 PM »
I have found it at the home of the underdogs web site, if have seen some of the other A-life sims, but at this program you could too program your own bots and it works best compared to the ones I have seen.  
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline Trafalgar

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2007, 02:21:38 PM »
I found out about it from a link posted by someone in a thread about Spore (which had long since gone off-topic) on a forum (which isn't about Spore).

The person's first post about it, where he didn't mention it by name, was a rant about animal rights activists beginning with "It just happens that I read a news article to the effect that at one of the conventions for this simulator, there were many protesters outside. Guess who they were?" - He believed the fake news story posted on these forums.

Someone asked what simulator he was talking about, and he named it and linked to the "news article" (and the link went right to the fake news post on these forums). He later realized the article was fake and went "Oops!".

I stuck a link to the DarwinBots site in my Firefox bookmarks toobar, and about a week or so later, downloaded DB to try it out.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 02:22:40 PM by Trafalgar »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2007, 04:13:30 PM »
That is the absolute best story for finding Darwinbots I've heard yet!

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2007, 11:48:45 AM »
What story is that? Could you provide a link? I hope it's not about treating simulations like real life, because it's only data.

It reminds me of a friend of mine that was wondering what would happen to my bots when I said I had my computer turned off for maintanence for a few days, like they would die or something. I've heard people with Tamagotchi's get so attached they even have cemetaries for them. The same goes for people who complain about violent computer games. It's all just graphical data!  There is nothing in there but zeros and ones!  
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.