Author Topic: Translating v2.x robots to v3  (Read 5384 times)

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Translating v2.x robots to v3
« on: October 05, 2007, 10:43:52 AM »
I will try to make a dna translater for all the 2.x virsions.
note: Numsgil I might have to expand the dna myself if I can't find the command simular to the command spesified in the 2.x robot.
also please note: This is a long term project - I don't even know c# yet.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 03:40:39 PM by Numsgil »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 03:55:19 PM »
There aren't any sysvars set up yet for the DNA, so translating 2.X bots is going to be rather difficult

Many commands have been changed or outright deleted for various reasons, which is why it would be so difficult to really change the DNA of an older bot.  sqr, for instance, now returns the "signed" square root of a number.  Ie: -25 sqr returns -5.  There are no longer any bitwise commands, also.

I do my best to talk about all the differences in the DNA command line thing I released.  Go ahead and read over the command list and complain about anything you don't like.  It's still a work in progress.

Decimals were considered once but I think the concensus was no.  They aren't supported on the stack for two reasons:
1.  Floating point errors are a pain to debug.  You really don't want users exposed to that if you can get away with it.  Integers really don't have any errors associated with them beyond overflow.
2.  You can do any fractional comparisons you like just by reordering the comparison.

Internet sharing is catching on now mostly because Eric found an FTP server that's guarenteed to be online all the time: the webserver.  It's not a permanent solution, but it's a fine temporary fix.  Also, he has like 3 computers to run DB on, so there's pretty much guarenteed to be someone else running in internet mode, which was also part of the problem.  Feel free to thank Eric for his hard work

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 02:11:01 PM »
Never mind I will translate all the robots myself , just tell me were else exsept from the bestiary can I find 2.x robots. I figure I run a population graph on all robots under all 2.x virsions finding which robot does better in which virsion.

(Yes indeed it will take a while)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 02:18:06 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 03:38:13 PM »
Just the beastiary.  All the bots are in there.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 02:10:32 PM »
If v3 won't come out  by the time I get out:
I will write the translator fot the latest 2.X virsion

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 09:01:50 PM »
I'm curious as to what exactly you think requires translation.  Or are you offerring to write an evolved code deobfiscation tool?  That would be useful.
Many beers....

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 06:29:20 AM »
I think he wants to bring bots whose DNA was written in 2.4, and rewrite them to run under 3.0  As I pointed out above, this is a rather premature goal since the only thing running right now for 3 is a command line DNA interpreter.  There aren't any sysvars set up, there isn't a program to run bots in, and there's no guarantee that 3's environment would even be compatible enough with 2.4 for currently designed bots to function at all.

But far be it from me to stifle enthusiasm.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 11:48:35 AM »
I got that.  I was actually referring to the statement "I will write the translator fot the latest 2.X virsion".

Nice avatar BTW.  Reminds me of what Kenny from South Park would look like if he guest starred on Spounge Bob.
Many beers....

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 04:24:04 PM »
Heh, thanks.  It's supposedly a ninja-zombie-cthulu.  It's from a webcomic I read.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 01:53:12 PM »
think he wants to bring bots whose DNA was written in 2.4, and rewrite them to run under 3.0 As I pointed out above, this is a rather premature goal since the only thing running right now for 3 is a command line DNA interpreter. There aren't any sysvars set up, there isn't a program to run bots in, and there's no guarantee that 3's environment would even be compatible enough with 2.4 for currently designed bots to function at all.

But what do I supposed to do if there is no venom?

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 05:24:53 PM »
Quote from: Botsareus
think he wants to bring bots whose DNA was written in 2.4, and rewrite them to run under 3.0 As I pointed out above, this is a rather premature goal since the only thing running right now for 3 is a command line DNA interpreter. There aren't any sysvars set up, there isn't a program to run bots in, and there's no guarantee that 3's environment would even be compatible enough with 2.4 for currently designed bots to function at all.

But what do I supposed to do if there is no venom?

There is venom, you just misunderstood me.  But even if there weren't, translating current bots is a premature task.  There's not program to run DB3 bots in yet.  If you want to be useful, dare I say it, learn C# and help me build the program.  There are a dozen tasks I could point you towards.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 05:25:28 PM by Numsgil »

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 07:03:17 PM »
It's supposedly a ninja-zombie-cthulu.

Damn! I was 100% sure that it's a teletubby touched by the noodly appendage....
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 07:18:33 PM »
lol!