Author Topic: Are people happy with auto re-launch of lastexit.sim?  (Read 2718 times)

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Are people happy with auto re-launch of lastexit.sim?
« on: October 04, 2007, 11:08:02 AM »
Wanted to make sure people were happy with this feature.  Any comments?
Many beers....

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 11:37:44 AM »
I have some mixed feelings about this feature. If I only want to run the same sim for a longer period it's easy to just start the program to continue. But right now I'm running two instances connected with a teleporter (each sim with different bots and slightly different settings) which means I have to delete the 'lastexit' files before I start the program. Right now the fans are broken on my old computer so I can't just run the sims around the clock, only on my new computer when I don't need to use it for other stuff.
Maybe I'm the only one having problems with this. If it could be made an optional feature...  
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 12:09:42 PM »
Would be easy to make optional at quit time, but the idea was to kind of make the feature automatic without user involvement in cases where say, Windows does a shut down at 3am to install a patch or similar.

You should not have to delete lastexit.sim to start multiple instances.   Yes, each instance will start up with the same lastexit sim file but you should then be able to open whatever sim you want in either or both instances.  Yes, when you close the two instances, the last one closed will overwrite the lastexit.sim, but lastexit.sim should not be used as a replacement for manual saving or autosaving of sims.   It's just there as a safty net.  People running complex, multi-instance sims should save them explicitly to their own sim files, manually or automatcially.

2.43m will fix the bug with colors and species selection.  I will try to post that today (west coast US time).
Many beers....

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 06:51:05 PM »
Sometimes on large sims I think it takes a while to close because it's saving.  Some sort of notification that it's saving, or better yet a progress bar, would be awesome.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 10:14:30 PM »
Quote from: Numsgil
Sometimes on large sims I think it takes a while to close because it's saving.  Some sort of notification that it's saving, or better yet a progress bar, would be awesome.
Good point.  I do change the mouse pointer to an hour glass today.  It would be easy to throw up an informational msgbox during the save.  I'll do that in the next drop.  Doing a progress bar.... well, now I'm the one whose lazy...
Many beers....