General > Bot Challenges

Challenge #5: Eusociality

<< < (2/3) > >>

fulizer:
letting a bot grow up sounds like a god idea a gene to define a child from adult yould be something like
cond
*robage=X
start
X .type store
stop

I bet that has some typo in it but until they invent a syntax corrector then I will never be any use to anyone

Moonfisher:
Having multicelular orgnaisms should create a need to protect newlyborns while they form...
Then maybe a tendency to give birth in thick crowds could arise... or something like that...
But I think ties work in an odd way, you can't realy comunicate propperly through them and the angle seems to change when you form new ties...
Also it seems like you can't stiffen the birth tie, and it's hard enough to form a new tie to the newly born without confusion, so evolving naturaly to form a usefull body could be hard. It seems like stiff ties should be able to have angles fixed relatively to eachother without inhibiting the aim of the bot, like an anchor point inside it. It seems to me like this would be easyer to controll, especialy if you can just stiffen a birth tie and then align it according to the angle of the last bot.
And IMO when ties are stiffened they shouldn't get a fixed angle or move the angle of other ties... I think it would be better if fixing tie angles where an evolutionary step... and maybe the stiffness of the angle should be adjustable.
I think it would be easyer for "shapes" to evolve, like tentacles or maybe even something able to rise to the surface using physics in pond mode...
It also seems like it would be hard to take full advantage of having several cells, since the cells are all "the same" serving no real purpose. I could imagine using bots with a lot of shell as a surface could be usefull, but it would probably still be hard to for the bots on the inside to drag them around.
I'm thinking maybe just having energy costs to the advantages isn't enough, it seems like makng a lot of shell should do more than just slow you down. All the bots in an organism are equaly good at everything, if a bot could specialize, sort of adjusting stats over some time, like increasing sight range, shell, venom, poison, shot power, speed, or maybe gain a bonus to drained energy and body. So you could have a shell that can't shoot but offers a strong defence, or dedicated eyes, or internals to maximize the gain from food or tentacles with strong tie abilities (taking more cycles to break, or with stronger initiative) or venom... as long as increasing your strength in one area weakens you in another. I'm not sure if certain strengths should weaken specific traits or if you should be able to manage it, like starting with no real strengths and being able to increase your "stats" gradualy at a cost with a maximum amount of strength to distribute.
It just seems like multicelular organisms would have a hard time staying stable and would be likely to end up acting more like a fungus. I can't even get a multibot to work propperly, and most definatly not if it tryes to tie feed since it messes up all the tie angles.

I know it's a lot of unpolished ideas, but it just seems like there should be more to ties, you can't comnicate with them, you can barely controll them, it's complicated to keep track of which tie you're acting on. It seems like it's too big a step for netural evolution to take within the timeframe of evo sims. (If we had millions of years it could probably work)
Not trying to be too critical, I just wanted to make a multibot earlyer on but ended up using reproduction to form the shape in needed for the short time it was needed (I posted the code I was working on as TieFighters, but it's nowhere near done, doesn't beat Pacifist and Etch II). I just want to see some more uses for ties so I can make a cool multibot, even though the leagues may be too fast paced it would still be fun to try and create a base for a real multibot to evolve... and generaly make interesting multibots.

abyaly:
I think nums is doing that in DB3

Also, a multibot named Helios used to dominate the leagues
Light (the author of excalibur, which is still fearsome after so many version changes) made it.

Numsgil:
Yeah, multibots are my primary focus for DB3.  The current physics engine causes probably half the problems with modern MBs.  It's a little too springy to be totally predictable.  So I'm presently working on physics engine that can handle multibots (Most existing physics engines I've tried lack one or two key features DB needs, so I had to write my own).  And I do mean presently.  Did some work on it this last weekend.

Physics aside, communication is another huge issue.  I think a lot will depend on how the control scheme works from the DNA.

SlyStalker:
i think a caste system is good for this challenge

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version