Author Topic: Still can't add bots in the Species tab! RESOLVED (2.43m)  (Read 3285 times)

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Still can't add bots in the Species tab! RESOLVED (2.43m)
« on: October 01, 2007, 12:15:06 PM »
For instance when I clear the bot list, then add a bot and then click to chose a custom color, then click on the bot in the list again it will say it's not a valid bot file. If I try to start a sim the bot folder will open like it wants me to chose a bot. Then I get a 'runtime error 5'. I want to start a new sim!!  
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 12:34:03 PM by EricL »
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 12:58:26 PM »
But I've managed to find a workaround. If I start the program and export the current settings, which I still want to use for my new sim, then quit the program, remove the lastexit files and start the program again and load the exported settings, I can add new bots without problems.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 02:07:07 PM »
I can't seem to reproduce this.

WHen yopu get the common dialog popup askign you for the path to the bot file, what is the path that it puts on the title bar?  What happens when navigate to the bot file and choose it?
Many beers....

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 04:10:59 PM »
Lets see if I can explain this. I get some various results.

1. I delete Lastexit.set and Lastexit.sim so I can start from scratch.

2. I start the program and it reverts to default settings.

3. I load a settings file called 'EvoSimA.set' which contains the bots 'NRG Provider.txt' and 'ID9844284' and click 'Start new'.

4. Then I quit the program and start it again. The sim loads that was running when I quitted.

5. I click on 'Start a new simulation', the Species tab and click to delete all bots.

6. I click to add a bot called 'Chainbot.txt' and the bot gets added to the list.

7. I click on the bot in the list and the color dialog pops up asking me to define color. I move the sliders and click to use that color and the dialog closes.

8. Now I click on the bot again and the color changes back to the previous color. The color changes to the color I had chosen for the 'NRG Provider' in the previous sim.

9. I click on 'Start new' to start the sim. Instead of starting a new sim it loads the 'lastexit.sim' file which is the previous sim that was running when I quitted the program.

Conclusion. I need to delete the 'lastexit.sim' file before I start the program if I want to start a new sim with new bots.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 12:25:42 PM »
Okay, steps 1-8 add up to a bug in setting a bot's custom colors.  Bascially, if bot had a custom color, the act of clicking on it would reset that color to green.  Has to do with the way the options dialog refreshed itself when a species was selected.  Bascailly, the species color dropdown click event was geting fired with the wrong color for the selected species, effectively resetting it if the color was custom.   This bug may be as old as the hills - not sure how many people actually use custom colors - but in any event, it is fixed in 2.43m.

I cannot reproduce #9.   Are you absolutely postitive it is running the lastexit.sim and not just a new sim with the wrong bot colors?
Many beers....

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 03:19:10 PM »
Yes, the custom color dialog has always been somewhat buggy, but I've always managed to use it anyway. I prefer colors that are more natural and not like neon lights.  

And I'm positive it's the lastexit.sim that is loaded when I start a new sim, because that's the path that shows at the top of the screen, plus the sim is the one I ran when I quitted the program, instead of the one I try to start. But no need to overwork yourself by solving this as there is an easy workaround, now when I've figured it out. Just deleting the lastexit files.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 12:34:44 PM »
please verify this bug is fixed in 2.43m
Many beers....