General > Bot Challenges

Bot Challenges: A New Direction

(1/5) > >>

Elite:
I've come to percieve a certain flaw in the way we program bots at the moment: bot behavior is generally too simple. Most bots' behavior comes straight from a series of if ... then triggers, directly from the dna; bots ignore others of their own species, and spend all their time eating (or searching for something to eat) and replicating. We're programing more and more efficient grey goo.

The purpose of these new challenges is to encourage the development of more interesting, interactive and intelligent bot behavior. The new challenges are more informal too and less competitive, with much looser rules and goals. Discussion and sharing of ideas is also encouraged.

This will also have consequences for the DB environment. Terrirorial bots will diversify the field; bots that can learn can utilise nontrivial strategies; bots with behavior controled by meta-systems (ie. non-genetically-deterministic behavior) might evolve in different ways ...

The first of the new challenges is to program a bot with a very basic artificial neural net to govern behavior. To attempt this you need to know a bit about neural networks, so it's a pretty high target. Massive kudos to whoever attempts this.

SlyStalker:
i agree, elite, but its going to be a very high mountain to climb judging from the way we are programming at the moment... but over time, im sure we will rise to the challenge  :)

Shadowgod2:
I'm making a bot that has the strict rules of the if then triggers but generationaly adapts to the environment without mutations. In fact it would degrade over time with it. It over time decides what to use and has the ability to change to adapt to almost any opponent. Although i only have a small part done :( but this is the next step to a neural net type bot.

Botsareus:

--- Quote ---In fact it would degrade over time with it.
--- End quote ---

I don't really buy that, any bot can benefit from mutations under certain circumstances.
But, good luck with your first big bot project  :)

Shadowgod2:
this bot has the ability to use everything from all sinces and any mutation would shatter the uses of them and i made a bot that i used as a base and over night it had almost no mutations and some had none. the only mutations it had were ones that had no effect to the other genes like insertions at the end or middle of genes. i was sad that so little had took place, but it did what it was suppose to do. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version