Author Topic: League mod volunteer needed  (Read 4481 times)

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
League mod volunteer needed
« on: September 23, 2007, 03:35:11 PM »
I've failed to update the leagues for far to long, sry.  

Not really had the time to do more than browse some of the new posts recently, feel bad about all the entries sitting in the starting gate. Would be happy to pass this job onto somebody else if they feel they are up to it.

You need to have some idea of how the leagues are run (like always using the latest DB release) and preferably some ability to read bot code but other than that it's just the time and willingness to keep the record straight and run the matches!

I'll leave it upto our esteemed mods EricL and Nums to decide but the time seems fitting to pass the baton on...

Feel free to post any questions or volunteer your time here.  
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have in your hands is a non-working cat.
Douglas Adams

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 04:15:20 AM »
A few questions here,

Is it the purpose you set the bots from the starting gate to the forum they are supposed to be(F1,F2,SB,MB)

Leagues are just run by putting the new bots in the sim(and alga minimalis) and checking the league. And just let it go play. (with F1 conditions)

Those two things are all?

How much time is there normally between two updates

How much time does it cost to run the leagues.

How much time to put the bot in the respective group, they belong.
(If you'd have to do that,I suppose that's the purpose)

How much time, well I can't think of anything else.  

and
I'll leave it upto our esteemed mods EricL and Nums to decide but the time seems fitting to pass the baton on...
Aren't they admins
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline Light

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 10:13:45 AM »
Quote from: Peter
Is it the purpose you set the bots from the starting gate to the forum they are supposed to be(F1,F2,SB,MB)
Yes
Leagues are just run by putting the new bots in the sim(and alga minimalis) and checking the league. And just let it go play. (with F1 conditions)
Yes
Yes
How much time is there normally between two updates
Depends on the numbers of new bots being created and when the moderator of the league has time

How much time does it cost to run the leagues.

How much time to put the bot in the respective group, they belong.
(If you'd have to do that,I suppose that's the purpose)

How much time, well I can't think of anything else.

The whole process can take a lot of time, the time it takes to run the league depends on the speed of your pc, but some battles can last hours.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 12:57:55 PM »
It's mostly just being responsible enough to still run them 2 weeks later when you don't feel like it anymore.

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 02:13:52 PM »

Aren't they admins
Many bots have to be run through more than one league, all bots get entered in the F1 league, but an F2 shortbot would also get entered in the F2 and SB league as well.
Once you have done that for the latest entries you should update the forum league info, upload the latest downloads for the leagues and move the respective bots into the relevant parts of the bestiary.

Timewise; it is quickest to do a batch of bots and then redo all the info and downloads, like Nums said though, some matches can last ages, even if a match takes a 100 rounds you need to leave the 'instant win' button alone. Doesn't happen very often though.

EricL and Nums are a step above admins!  

With any luck, seeing as I will have more time on my hands this week, I may get round to clearing the backlog, which would hopefully make it a bit easier for you to get started. No promises though!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 02:14:42 PM by Jez »
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have in your hands is a non-working cat.
Douglas Adams

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 03:49:53 PM »
BTW Jez, I must compliment you on the work you did.  You really helped organize things.

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 02:55:09 PM »
Thanks Nums, comment is appreciated! Never got it as organised as I had intended though.
Douglas Adams

Offline fulizer

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 03:44:08 AM »
I will help.
seeing new bots it probably the most intresting part of the forums.
you get to see what people have done and lean alll their techneuiques
"If this is coffee bring me tea, If this is tea, bring me coffee"