Author Topic: What exactly does the 15c/sec limit button do?  (Read 2843 times)

Offline Peksa

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
What exactly does the 15c/sec limit button do?
« on: September 20, 2007, 10:01:10 AM »
I might be imagining it, but whenever I have c/sec limiting on, cycles per sec on my evosim seem to go from 2.5 to around 3.2. I'm running it on about five years old computer and it has around 600 bots and veggies on it. If this is real, I certainly like this "bug".

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 10:39:33 AM »
It wastes 67 of every 100 clock ticks in a tight loop, doing nothing.  Thus, what it does it cut sim speed by 2/3 instead of actually limiting cycles/sec.  I'm talking about the button with no graphic that has the erroneous tool tip that says "Limits speed to 15 cycles/sec".  What it really does it cut sim speed by 2/3, effectivly using only 1/3 of the available cpu cycles to run the sim.

You are probably simply seeing an artifact of the way cycles/sec are calculated.  The tight loop does not process events, preventing the timer event from updating the program's clock.  Time slows down (for DB).  Thus, while the actual number of cycles per sec drops by 2/3, the displayed and calculated value seems to go up a little because time itself is slowing down a little more than the cycles.
Many beers....

Offline Peksa

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 01:00:27 PM »
I thought it looked too good to be true  Thanks for the explanation.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 06:30:10 PM »
The button was really just a half hearted attempt on my part to limit sim speed.  The fact that it has no graphic should be evidence of that.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 08:22:38 PM »
Quote from: Numsgil
The button was really just a half hearted attempt on my part to limit sim speed.  The fact that it has no graphic should be evidence of that.
It's useful.  One must spend one's time and energy commensurate with need.  It's not like we get paid for working on this thing...  
Many beers....