Author Topic: Numsgil's evolution challenge  (Read 3405 times)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Numsgil's evolution challenge
« on: September 02, 2007, 12:19:28 AM »
Somewhat related to what Eric has done, I'm putting forward a challenge for evo sims.  No prize offered, though.

I'd like someone to take either Animal Minimalis, or another bot that can beat Animal Minimalis in an F1 match, and evolve it.  The number of mutations must be greater than or equal to the original DNA length of the bot.  You "win" if your evolved version can beat the original in an F1 match.

To the best of my knowledge this has never been done.  I had a sim going using Enitor Comesum, but the end result was significantly weaker than the original, despite what I thought were some strong selective pressures for combat.

Offline MacadamiaNuts

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 09:51:34 AM »
Cool.
Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose...

Offline MacadamiaNuts

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 10:06:01 AM »
Would you accept a bot that is in a perpetual draw against Animal_Minimalis?

I thought about using my Animal Archaea, but when I match it against Animal Minimalis, as it uses ecologic tie sharing, both species just keep living together.  

Actually, Animal Minimalis dies after a long while just because Archaeas never allow it to store enough energy to reproduce, but that's just because they are too crowded in the F1 arena size. It's a really fun discovery.

The bot:
http://www.darwinbots.com/Forum/index.php?showtopic=2170
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 10:07:51 AM by MacadamiaNuts »

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 11:25:57 AM »
Right now, a mutant form of Helios rules F1 Internet mode.  It has about 400 mutations and beats everything I've introduced.  Forms large clusters of tiny bots and sucks the nrg out of rivals via ties.  Quite formitable.  The One doesn't last long...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 11:26:29 AM by EricL »
Many beers....

Offline MacadamiaNuts

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 11:31:28 AM »
Quote from: EricL
Right now, a mutant form of Helios rules F1 Internet mode.  It has about 400 mutations and beats everything I've introduced.  Forms large clusters of tiny bots and sucks the nrg out of rivals via ties.  Quite formitable.  The One doesn't last long...

Yah, that was Mosquito's strategy in F1.

I think energy transfer through ties is wrong for small bots. The amount of energy (or the portion of shared energy) should be proportional somehow to the size of the bot (and therefore of its tie). You know, only in DB a mosquito size thing is able to dry you of blood in one instant.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 12:00:43 PM »
Quote from: MacadamiaNuts
I think energy transfer through ties is wrong for small bots. The amount of energy (or the portion of shared energy) should be proportional somehow to the size of the bot (and therefore of its tie). You know, only in DB a mosquito size thing is able to dry you of blood in one instant.

Totally agree.  Think I'll fix it as soon as I figure out exactly what it's doing...  

I have a sinking suspision that nrg transfer has some serious problems not the least of which is that who wins may depend in part upon the bot's location in the bot array.  Ugh!

EDIT.  I've taken a shot at fixing this in 2.43e.  See #25 here.  

Don;t mean to mess up Num's challenge thread.  Lets move further discussion of fixes to tie feeding here as well.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 02:06:40 PM by EricL »
Many beers....

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 08:33:26 PM »
Helios?  I thought it was broken with the new tie physics.  Can you test the mutant against the original in an F! competition?

I don't mind if you use a bot that won't lose to Animal Minimalis, but remember that the final "win" confirmation requires you to beat the original strain of your bot.