Author Topic: Come join the F1 megaverse!  (Read 66777 times)

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Come join the F1 megaverse!
« Reply #135 on: April 18, 2008, 05:57:06 PM »
Amazing sim you got, Shvarz, but it seems a little buggy to run. One time it completely froze. the next time it opened my bot folder.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 05:58:27 PM by Testlund »
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 18, 2008, 06:13:02 PM »
If it opens your bot folder, it's because it's trying to make a bot (say, Shrinking violet?) that you don't have, and the program is going "where's this bot?".  What should happen is that a sim, when created, makes a backup copy of all species' DNA to populate against, so it's not constantly trying to reparse something like, say, Guardian. (hint hint Eric).

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 18, 2008, 06:38:10 PM »
Thanks, Testlund!
It probably looks for "alga shellular", I'm attaching it to this post, just drop it into your "Robots" folder.  Also note that it has teleporters going that save and load bots into/from C:/dbtele folder.  I have no idea what happens to the program if the folder does not exist.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 19, 2008, 06:19:33 AM »
Yeah, I should have understood imedeately. I was wondering if I may put some changes for the settings for this sim, like adding some costs, or do you want me to run it exactly as it is? If I just screw up your sim by changing something, I can tweak till something works nicely. I just wish I had a spared computer, which I don't at the moment, so I'll have to run this every second day, and my evosim the other day, or at night when I'm sleeping. Is it ok if I run it in internet mode too, I mean two pretty much identical sims connected? Lots of questions...  
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 06:21:43 AM by Testlund »

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 19, 2008, 11:29:08 AM »
You could always run both sims at the same time on the same computer...

There won't be any isues with connecting your copy of Shvarz's sim to IM as long as your IM name is different, which it will be since that is not stored in the sim itself but in a seprate, local file.
Many beers....

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 19, 2008, 02:57:39 PM »
Anyone out there? I just started Shvarz sim in internet mode, with my settings and costs to see how it goes. Costs went down to 0 right away because of the low population. I'll see later how it goes when population goes high. Looks like I'm alone on the server though.

Nevermind. My firewall is lazy tonight. Didn't even react until several minutes after starting IM. just got A Supremus from Eric! :-)

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 19, 2008, 03:03:32 PM »
...and I see Eric has finally made the teleporter unclickable so I can't change it's size. Too bad. A tiny teleporter doesn't get much out in a very large field size.  

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 19, 2008, 07:35:13 PM »
Maybe instead of a circular teleporter, we could have some shapes rigged as teleporters?

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 19, 2008, 08:16:11 PM »
That seems like unecessary programming to me. I guess Eric has some idea why a static size of the teleporter is the best way. An adoptible size of the teleporter according to the size of the field could be a solution, but it's a question how much Eric wants to spend time with it between bug fixing and feature adding, being the only one working with it for free.

Anyway, where's everybody? I just came home from a clubbin evening finding I'm alone on the server!

...or rather, the ones online seems to have 0 population, which can't be right.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 19, 2008, 08:27:57 PM »
Actually, the sim had totally frozen. Looks like it froze when doing an internet check, because the internet Log display showed 0. Reloaded and is back on line. Goodnight. :-)

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 19, 2008, 09:11:17 PM »
I'm running only at work and only when I'm not actively using my laptop.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 20, 2008, 12:37:20 AM »
Well, your sim keeps freezing for me in. I don't know if it's IM or sim related.  

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 20, 2008, 01:00:11 AM »
The program freezes when it tries to connect to IM.  This is probably what you're seeing.  If you leave it alone for a few minutes it should resume eventually.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 20, 2008, 07:59:32 AM »
Yeah, I know it freezes for a little while, but I'm sure this was a permanent freeze. I'll take time next time. If it stays frozen for more than 15 minutes I think it unacceptable.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 20, 2008, 10:47:21 AM »
Quote from: Numsgil
Maybe instead of a circular teleporter, we could have some shapes rigged as teleporters?
Actually, I do plan to do this at some point not so mu for IM but for local teleporters and such.  The field walls can be thought of as long skinny shapes that teleport to a specific place....  You could set up point to point teleporters, teleport into a walled off area, etc.

I also plan to use shapes as a paradym fopr local environmental differences.  I.e. allow bots to be on certain kinds of shapes (the current bot-repelling shape can be thought of as one shape mode - the repel all bots mode) and have them gain nrg, loose nrg, etc
Many beers....