Author Topic: Come join the F1 megaverse!  (Read 66817 times)

Offline Peen

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Come join the F1 megaverse!
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2007, 01:55:23 AM »
This may not be the right area to ask, but in a multicore system, will one instance of DB use both cores?  Or would one need to copy the whole DB file tree and run a 2nd instance to make use of the 2nd core (N copies needed for N cores?)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2007, 02:01:59 AM »
You don't need to actually create two DB folders, but you will need to run two instances to use two cores.  On the other hand, it also means you can use your dual core system for web browsing and even light gaming and still run one DB instance at full speed.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 02:02:23 AM by Numsgil »

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2007, 02:27:58 PM »
I haven't been connected to this internet F1 for a while, I am trying to connect and I just don't seem to find any other sims.
They do still exist do they  

What has happened in the month, has everything extinct and a serious mutated amimal minimalis taken the thrown or is preditor still ruling. How many sims are there right now connected, I can't see I just see one, my own.
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2007, 02:44:56 PM »
The FTP server is having problems right now I think.  Wait a few hours and see if it fixes itself.
Many beers....

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2007, 08:11:47 AM »
Quote from: Numsgil
You don't need to actually create two DB folders, but you will need to run two instances to use two cores.  On the other hand, it also means you can use your dual core system for web browsing and even light gaming and still run one DB instance at full speed.

Somehow I don't trust this about dual core processors. I've used different monitoring software to see how my dual core works, and what it looked to me was that it just uses it's first core until it reaches over 100%, then the other core starts working. So it appears like a split single core processor. I don't know about specially design software for dual cores. Maybe different operations on each core would increase efficiency with such software, but I think two instances of DB would just run on one of the cores until the operations reaches over 100% for that core.
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2007, 09:40:40 AM »
There's nothing to let a CPU rest in DB, so a single instance should let a single processor go to 100%.  Mind you that doesn't mean the processor is actually working at it's full potential.  The system measures how busy the processor is by how much time the idle windows process gets to run.  A program could "busy wait", that is, do nothing but take it's full time at the processor doing it, and use 100% of the processor.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2007, 11:26:45 AM »
Also, if a thread does block for awhile, Windows will try to reschedule that thread on the same processor it came off last on the presumption that the L2 cache is still useful.  

So, bottom line, if you only have 1 processor's worth of work going on, it is not unexpected that you should see most of it on one processor while the other does little, particularly as Nums says, when the majority of that work is in a seldom blockng single threaded app like DB.  

If you run two DB instances on the otherhand, than you should see both processors working hard.
Many beers....

Offline Henk

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2007, 01:37:26 PM »
Hi all,

This new internet feature is really cool! gratz EricL!

The coolest thing just happened. I had just started DB, and had forgotten to set any simulation costs. So out of nowhere (well, from the teleport actually  ) came a blob of 'multiply3(peter)' bots, who (ab)used my no-cost environment to reproduce like lunatics!
then they teleported all over the place, just in time (before I activated costs again)

That's so cool!

« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 01:40:55 PM by Henk »
cond
*.DBbugs 0 =
start
.rejoice inc
stop

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2007, 02:34:18 PM »
I just want to say that the multiply you probably encoutered probably where multiply that have evolved for a month in different sims, I have introduced them a month ago. They have over all those time kept some of the enourmous multiplying. They will probably do it too with more costs but somewhat slower. With that fast reproducing you'd probably had the pretty fast moving one. That one is perfect in no cost suroundings.

I could be someone else intrduced multiply again ofcourse(maybe it isn't a month old), I am not that sure.

With the fast moving one, I mean there are different subspecies.
As I have looked, I found out there are multiple types of multiply one that is shooting far too often and moving as fast as possible, the funny ones. (it's just a little creepy how much they still look like there ancesters). The where meant to not care about efficientcy and just multiply
And on the other side some that are more dull and cheapskates at energie, huh(dumb) an veggie let's go towards it and shoot, but not too fast or else I am losing nrg.
Some tie forming ones, probably taking profit of the teleporter. Moving in as one giant blob. Also a powerfull tactic. This have I too generally seen at most types of bots sometimes. Using ties to come further.

He, I see shimazu coming in my sim. Differsity going up. Let's see if it can beat up multiply.

You're right this internet mode is cool  .
And there will be happening even more cool stuff.

And a question about bots coming in out,
Is there a way to get less bots to be taken away with the teleporter?

The bots don't really care but as I look on the in/out ratio I cannot believe alle bots are being departed. And probably staying in the out folder. Is there a way.
I don't really have a problem with it, most bots are after awile transferred back, and that brings me on question two
The bots that are transferred in from your own sim, are those the bots that are in the out folder the longest ?

That would mean then that the new bots would every time be chalenged by bots that have been frozen by time. old vs new all the time and that would probably mean you're pretty sure of bad mutations being taken out fast even if they take over a sim. And that is good by my idea.

And Henk are you from the Netherlands too, I see Henk and I am thinking dutch.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 02:52:42 PM by Peter »

Offline Henk

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2007, 03:00:58 PM »
Shimazu is my first bot. I posted it like... I don't know... 2 or 3 years ago, back in the days when we had the old forum and PY was still doing the programming... *nostalgic*

But yeah, I'm breeding it in my own sim. I hope it will someday be able to survive in another one, and that my population will be able to withstand the invasions of the other bots. How is Shimazu doing in you sim, Peter?

And I am dutch  (Enschede)
cond
*.DBbugs 0 =
start
.rejoice inc
stop

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2007, 03:22:55 PM »
Shimazu is my first bot. I posted it like... I don't know... 2 or 3 years ago, back in the days when we had the old forum and PY was still doing the programming... *nostalgic*
The time I am here I haven't even seen something posted by PY. I know it was one of the programmers.

But yeah, I'm breeding it in my own sim. I hope it will someday be able to survive in another one, and that my population will be able to withstand the invasions of the other bots. How is Shimazu doing in you sim, Peter?
It is nowhere to be seen I just saw it teleporting into the sim becouse of the log.

If you compare internet sim populations with internet populations you can get an idea how many bots there are outside your sim. I did with your specie and in your case there are at this moment none outside.
It could be your specie gets extinced, it is for a reason you see Preditor11(EricL) the ten before it just don't live anymore.

And I am dutch  (Enschede)
Yeah, I just saw this beneath your avatar.  , just before I posted this.

I live in scheemda(oost-groningen), little village(5000 civilions).

I just checked the sim graph, did multiply3 just invade your sim.
Edit:Now I am pretty sure, multiply did. I am almost a little sorry for you Henk

30-10-2007 20:22:34: multiply3(peter).txt teleported in from Henk
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 03:27:57 PM by Peter »

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2007, 03:43:42 PM »
Quote from: Peter
With normal teleporters, you would change the size of the teleporter to change the teleportation rate.  I.e. making it bigger increases the probability of bots getting teleportation.  Right now, the internet teleporter is fixed in size so as to avoid flooding cheats but I may relax this at some point.

as I look on the in/out ratio I cannot believe alle bots are being departed.
The in/out ratio will be a function of relative sim speed and size.  Smaller, faster running sims will have a lower in/out ratio as the probability of outbound teleportation is greater.  Larger, slower sims will have a higher ratio as the probability of outbound teleportation is lower.

The bots that are transferred in from your own sim, are those the bots that are in the out folder the longest ?
No, bots of the same species should be FIFO, but there's a bug in current versions in bot naming that prevents bot transfer of different species from being First In First Out.  2.43p will fix this.
Many beers....

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2007, 04:14:20 PM »
Quote from: EricL
With normal teleporters, you would change the size of the teleporter to change the teleportation rate.  I.e. making it bigger increases the probability of bots getting teleportation.  Right now, the internet teleporter is fixed in size so as to avoid flooding cheats but I may relax this at some point.
Then I am interested are the bots from my sim flooding all other sims(in 125 /out1811). I suspect they stay in the out folder or else all sims are being flooded. In that case, it wasn't on purpose.  
Edit: the teleporter is at the smallest size and is fixed on place.Thought it would catch less bots if fixed.

I see by martiantank3 and autotroph having straight lines and then going suddenly up and down, multiply having the line little going up and down the whole time(noise). Is this becouse multiply is in my sim that I see it?

Or is there something with martiantank and autotroph. It seems strange. Not very natural.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 04:16:23 PM by Peter »

Offline Henk

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2007, 04:22:53 PM »
(...)

I just checked the sim graph, did multiply3 just invade your sim.
Edit:Now I am pretty sure, multiply did. I am almost a little sorry for you Henk

Yeah Shimazu got pwned
cond
*.DBbugs 0 =
start
.rejoice inc
stop

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2007, 06:12:34 PM »
I have multiply in my sim. It pretty much dominates, nothing else can give it a decent challenge.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam