Author Topic: Come join the F1 megaverse!  (Read 66568 times)

Offline Elite

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Come join the F1 megaverse!
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2007, 06:19:38 PM »
I've released some Bestia Mactabilis to the net. I'm really quite proud of these ones: they're good dogfighters and make use of a colourful repetoir of dirty tricks, countermeasures and combat skills.

I also briefly ran a sim with no bots of my own. Some multipys teleported in. After some experimentation, I found out they had no virus immunity. I sent the virus-infected multiplys back out into the wild. Heh. heh. heh.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 06:20:56 PM by Elite »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2007, 06:20:47 PM »
It's really interesting to watch my sim develop.  One species will dominate for thousands to millions of cycles.  Then, in a relatively brief 1000 cycles will totally be replaced by another species.  And then later on will be replaced by the species it replaced itself.

I'm guessing that since my sim runs much faster than most others (roughly 40 cycles/sec) maybe it has to do with how fast mutations start piling up.  Evolutionary dead ends are quickly exterminated by an incoming species.

Whatever the case, as soon as two competing species exist in my sim, energy levels plummet.  I mean really plummet.  The sim is so small, and alga so scarce, high pop levels really require a Pax.  As soon as any sort of war starts, things go to Hell.

Really very interesting.  Wish I could figure out more about the dynamics going on.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2007, 07:52:07 PM »
Quote from: shvarz
Weird, my sims get swamped with Alga minimalis, even though I unchecked the "Transfer autotroph" option. Is this a bug, or am I missing something?
Right now, the internet mode teleporter overrides all the teleporter settings.  I may even hide the properties dialog itself.  The idea is to level the playing field, at least with respect to organism flow between sims....
Many beers....

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2007, 03:25:36 AM »
Quote from: Elite
I also briefly ran a sim with no bots of my own. Some multipys teleported in. After some experimentation, I found out they had no virus immunity. I sent the virus-infected multiplys back out into the wild. Heh. heh. heh.

Oh, eh, no virus defence . And there wheren't even that many of them. Poor multiply   .

Right now, the internet mode teleporter overrides all the teleporter settings. I may even hide the properties dialog itself. The idea is to level the playing field, at least with respect to organism flow between sims....

Yes, but could you just disable simple alga. The transfer of alga' is costing time(atleast the sim is reset to speed 0), and a different alga in different sims could lead to a increase in divercity. Being harder to conquer.
I am not sure what to do with huge multibots with alga atteched really.
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2007, 12:00:05 PM »
One species will dominate for thousands to millions of cycles. Then, in a relatively brief 1000 cycles will totally be replaced by another species. And then later on will be replaced by the species it replaced itself.

Is your sim very small?  Less than (or around) 100 bots?  The dynamics you describe remind me of stochastic dynamics of small populations. The rule of thumb for those is that any fitness differences that are < or ~= to 1/N are not important and behave as neutral alleles. And those get replaced rarely but rapidly due to chance.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2007, 05:36:56 PM »
Not sure how long I've been running my sim, but so far no bot could invade it successfully. The best attempt was by Preditor7, which came in, replicated to pretty high levels (~300 bots vs 50-60 of my evolved Carnatus) and then mysteriously died out in a typical "War of the Worlds" style (its population quickly crashed to 10-20 and then those died out pretty quickly too).

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2007, 12:14:24 AM »
Quote from: shvarz
One species will dominate for thousands to millions of cycles. Then, in a relatively brief 1000 cycles will totally be replaced by another species. And then later on will be replaced by the species it replaced itself.

Is your sim very small?  Less than (or around) 100 bots?  The dynamics you describe remind me of stochastic dynamics of small populations. The rule of thumb for those is that any fitness differences that are < or ~= to 1/N are not important and behave as neutral alleles. And those get replaced rarely but rapidly due to chance.

Yes, actually.  My average population is 170 with the cancerous veggy spikes.  An median population is probably around a hundred.  Good to see the sim behaving like real life.

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2007, 05:17:04 PM »
What are in fact the species everybody has and the enviroment they live in.

I just have a sim with at the moment multiply3 with pretty normal F1 costs, exept for the fact everything is everytime rounded down (0.001 becomes 0)is it a bug or something), somehow the cost multiplier is going up as hell. Having a cost multiplier of 33 a normal shot cost 66, isn't that much. A stupid shooting bot just dies.

Trying to aim the population around 200(20%) the population is always higher and trigering the cost multiplier. Having mostly around 250 bots with pikes towards 300 and down to 180 or so.

What's happening in the other sims, I am interested.
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline Elite

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2007, 07:00:01 PM »
Currently running a sim on size 2 with non-evolving Bestia Mactabilis. Other bots occasionally teleport in, but nothing takes hold. Is anyone getting any Bestias arriving in they're sims? How do they do?

Preditor7 is a rather interesting one. For a mutated bot with incredibly mutated dna, it's scarily good at fighting and adapting. A few teleport in every so often, and they're usually quite good at holding my bots off for a while.

Internet mode is so fascinating!

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2007, 11:49:06 PM »
I generally have between three and five machines running mid sized fields and basically F1 league mode phsyics and costs with autocosts keeping the population at around 1000 bots each.  At the moment, Lionfish 1.4, Preditor 7 and multiply(peter) exist in all three of my currently running sims with varying populations.  In fact, the leader w.r.t. population is different in each one currently.  I try to leave at least three machines going all the time so I guess I host the bulk of Internet mode most of the time.  Pred7 has dominated over the past few days, but challengers have made him extint in at least one of the three sims multiple times.  But then a version will teleport in from another sim and win it back.  I think sim isloation effectively allows for speciation of mutating bots like Pred7.   The populations in differnet sims develop in differnet directions.  The Pred7 you encounter in one isn't necessarily the Pred7 you find in another.

Pred7 was a pretty complete battle bot in it's initial unmutated form with a wide array of attacks and counter attacks.  It doesn't surprise me too much that the mutated version(s) are highly effective.  Perhaps competition in internet mode - with other Pred7 strains and other species - provides for stablizing selection which preserves that effectiness even after 500 cumulative mutations...

Quote from: Elite
Is anyone getting any Bestias arriving in they're sims? How do they do?
I see them come in occasionally, but they don't last.  Currently none in any of my three sims though the pop graphs show they have come in...
Many beers....

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2007, 02:42:40 AM »
Good to see the sim behaving like real life

Yes, but if this is indeed the case, then this means that you don't have positive selection acting in your sim.  It's just random bots replacing each other randomly.

Upd: Actually, it means that most bots will replace each other randomly, but when one bot is much-much-much better then another, then you'll have positive selection.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 02:44:20 AM by shvarz »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2007, 06:05:32 AM »
I sort of consider my sim like a time warp.  Bots come in, probably live their lives something like 10x faster than in their old sim, mutate a bit, then get teleported back to their old sim.  My sim's like a frontier.  Or that's the idea anyway.

Offline Peen

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2007, 12:17:16 AM »
So far my sim has been safe from invasion.  Other than Alga-minimalis. (Right now they are in a side to side moving mode. .   cut my Swarm by a third.  

I kept wondering why lionfish & preditor were kicking my tail with the tie feeding method, then I found the typo. . left out a stupid period before a deltie command.

I've got ONE Preditor7 floating around. . not doing much. . occasionaly feeding on an algie that swims by or a Swarm member that mutated and lost it's tie protection.

LOL. . 6 Preditor9's just came in and ate the mk 7.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2007, 12:48:16 AM »
I released Pred9 about an hour ago.  Big tank with lots of shell designed to go after Lionfish 1.5.  Doesn't mutate.

Welcome aboard Peen.
Many beers....

Offline MacadamiaNuts

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2007, 10:32:01 AM »
I find quite annoying that mutated bots tend to be successful where the unmutated versions fail miserablely...

I made Lionfish 1.5 to be a big, bully loner bot, with tons of body, shell and stuff, and it just threw away all that.  

Be said, the Lionfish that rushed the sims wasn't in my sim at all. I left another version evolving the whole night but it didn't "cross the line".
Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose...